Necessary to drain pool in zone 7, Raleigh NC area?

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Going to attempt leaving my 16'x48" intex ultra frame up this year. I do not own a cover yet...i could use a recommendation on that as well please. i had planned on maybe shutting the inlet/return valves and moving the equipment into the shed, and just leaving most/all of the water in it. I checked the 'sticky' posts and there wasn't much info on winterizing.

For an intex pool, you can get the intex cover, although I don't know if it will hold up to snow very well. You could also get a standard above ground pool cover for a 16-18' pool which should be a little sturdier. If your pool has not been modified you can cap off the intake and return openings, then disconnect and drain the pump and filter. If you have added a skimmer or hard plumbed the pool then you will need to drain below the skimmer and return, cap off, then drain the pump and filter. You want to make sure not to leave any water in small areas where it can freeze and possibly damage something.

Since we rarely get more than a couple of inches of snow in this area, and it melts within a day, I wouldn't blow big bucks on a cover, the cheaper ones work just fine.

Draining all the lines and the filter is a good idea since we can see extended below freezing temps, you don't want a freeze crack in a piece of pool equipment. I empty mine and stick it in the shed, all except the filter, its just too heavy to move around. It just gets drained and the bottom fitting left open. Get a Gizmo for the skimmer and a pump to get the water off the cover.

For nine years, I have left my pool totally open over the winter. I turn on the pump overnight if temps get below 25 or so but that's it. So far, this has worked well for me. Lot's of leaves to rake out but every thing else seemed more work.

For nine years, I have left my pool totally open over the winter. I turn on the pump overnight if temps get below 25 or so but that's it. So far, this has worked well for me. Lot's of leaves to rake out but every thing else seemed more work.

Should i even waste the money on a flimsy pool cover? just disconnect the equip. and let it ride?? maybe dump some bleach in or something? Do you make housecalls to come clean leaves out? :D

No, I am sure Dave runs his pump every day, likely on a timer. But, if the temp is going to drop overnight, he probably manually turns on the pump for overnight to prevent freeze damage.

I do the same thing for the handful of nights where the temp gets below 30.

So whats wrong with putting the pump and SWG away, draining the water from the sand filter, and just disconnecting from pool and leaving it. and then leaving the pool filled with no cover? I can scoop out leaves a few times or maybe dump some bleach in if i had to...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.