Nearly a year in to hot tub ownership... Some observations and more questions.

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So I own a Dr Wellness spa that I love.

One thing that I learned without a fact, is clarifier is garbage. As soon as you add it to hot tub it turns to gunk, literally a thick gel film. Perhaps a tiny bit is ok, but anything more is awful.
I thought for the longest time that my issue was the clarifier was grabbing stuff from the water and forming that gunk, im pretty sure its the clarifier itself.

Ahhsome is ahhsome - duh.

Hot tubs are 10x more work than pools haha. - Ive had my pool now since memorial day and havent touched it but 1 time. I had to add a couple bags of salt. Thats it. Cant imagine not owning a SWG at this point. However this hot tub, even with an SWG (just works when pumps are on) I feel like half the time or all the time it isnt working. Water level (because its hot) drops way quicker. Chemicals are much harder to balance etc etc etc. Its a pain in the arse quite honestly.

CYA in hot tub - So after my tub went green last winter ive been much better about keeping my CYA levels up, but seriously Should CYA go from 50 to 0 in a month or less? Is that normal? Just seems like a Lot of loss over a quick period.

Dont let your PH Drift. I had been fighting a chlorine problem for a week after I FINALLY got it cleaned (because CYA dropped without me noticing) and I kept fighting and fighting. finally checking the PH (yes i know, do it more often) and it was 8-8.1 As soon as I got that back in check, the chlorine stabilized.

Im sure there are more, ill add but I have kids screaming usptairs :)

Would love to figure out the CYA issue.. just seems to be sooooo much cya usage in the tub.

Yes the high temp drops the CYA much faster than a pool.
When my CYA gets below 30 I simply switch back to dichlor for a bit then back to liquid 10% FC, easy.
Agree on acid additions, watch closely and keep pH in the zone. I test my water each time I'm in the tub for FC and pH using the Taylor 9056 DPD comparator block that tops out at FC 10ppm and use the R-0001 and R-0002 reagents for FC and R-0004 for pH. I check CYA every 2-3 weeks.
My tub is small so additions are small and it gets used every day, twice a day in the winter. I watch the CC ppm for a clue that the water needs attention and clean the filter after 20 to 30 days. I also completely drain and purge my tub every 60 to 80 days.
Ah yes kids screaming from across the house......I remember those days. :rant: You do eventually get your life back, don't lose heart. :wink:

Reactions: abycat
We all agree CYA does drop quicker in tubs, but is 50-0 in under a month normal? Seems quicker than I remember... Also I dont think my SWG is working again lol... I may replace it, or take the panel off and check to see if there is some build up :)

One thing to consider is the cost of your water versus the cost of the chemicals to keep the spa balanced and sanitary. If you're fighting the water balance, it may be cheaper to empty/refill the spa more often than normal. Just a thought!

Reactions: Oly
The only cost that was higher than normal was when it went green :) that took a TON of chlorine (also due to PH issues). so its not terrible... The cost isnt the issue, its the ongoing constant addition of chlorine. My SWG just has to not be working... im going to bust open that panel right now actually

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.