Mjfitzner

Jun 18, 2019
Darien IL
First year as a pool owner (parents had one growing up so I have a little background). I’m concerned on my chlorine usage. My levels have never been high according to my test strips but it seems like I’m going through a ton of chlorine tabs. I have the nature2 in-line chlorinator and I fill the chlorine holder once about ever 1.5-2 weeks. Is that normal usage? The pool is clear and doesn’t smell over-chlorinated. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: As for your situation, I'll let you know now a couple things that you'll see/hear oftener here at TFP:
1 - Test strips are simpy junk. We always recommend owners obtain a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared. The TF-100 is the better value in my opinion. With a proper test kit, post a full set of numbers so we can see what's happenig in your water.
2 - Nature2 is a mineral system and is also not recommended. It's adding metals to your water with each cartridge. If you don't have a salt water generator (SWG), it's best to simply add the required amount of liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach) to the water each day. No side effects. See ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for more details.

Nice to have you on the forum. :swim:

That one holds about 4 lbs of tablets too.
Your pool holds about 13,000 gallons of water so that means your using about 2 to 3 ppm per day. Which is perfectly normal.

Now I refer you back to Pat's post. You'll be better off if you follow his advice. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to the calculations based on the amount of trichlor you've been using, you're raising your CYA by about 40ppm per month. Unless you have a large leak, you might want to test it again. If that number is coming from a pool store test, we find that most do a terrible job with getting the CYA level correct. Just something to be aware of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.