Mystery pipe?

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid Oregon
Hey all. In the process of draining and repainting our pool. Have wondered about this mystery item for a while. Is this a covered jet? Or?? We have two other jets (one in shallow end, one in deep end) of our kidney shaped pool, and have kinda struggled with water movement efficiency... pool is 30+yrs old, and we know little about it. Thoughts? Why would this be covered? Worse case I break it open and ....?

Attachments

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Somebody might have winterized it years ago and forgotten to replace the plug with an eyeball. I'd open it up and see where it leads. Stuff a hose in it and see if water squirts out the other jets.

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid Oregon
Somebody might have winterized it years ago and forgotten to replace the plug with an eyeball. I'd open it up and see where it leads. Stuff a hose in it and see if water squirts out the other jets.
Perfect, will see if I can get cap off and then shove a hose in it. Would three jets in my pool size seem more appropriate?

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid Oregon
Most likely a vacuum line or a pressure cleaner port.

Is the pool painted?
Yes, pool is painted epoxy. We’re draining to re-paint at the moment. Do you know how I would discern if it’s a vacuum line vs pressure cleaning port? I had other suggestion to stick a hose in it and see where it leads... maybe I’ll start there?

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid Oregon
Yes. Or more. But pool builders often skimp.
It would be nice, I imagine, if there were three functional jets. As I eluded to previously, we’ve had issues with dead water in various areas of pool, and it seems like we can’t quite get water moving right with trial and error. Have you found, or do you know, of any good resources for “ways to orient pool jets”. I imagine it’s quite different with different shaped pools....

Chasarms

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2020
Dardenne Prairie, MO
I wouldn't crank on it too hard. If you break it, you have a brand new problem. It looks like it may be fused with past paint or epoxy.

If you put a hose in it and turn on the water and you get water out of the other jets, it is a return. If you get water to the pump basket it is a vacuum port.

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid Oregon
I wouldn't crank on it too hard. If you break it, you have a brand new problem. It looks like it may be fused with past paint or epoxy.

If you put a hose in it and turn on the water and you get water out of the other jets, it is a return. If you get water to the pump basket it is a vacuum port.
Will be cautious when cranking! ☺ I know nothing of vacuum ports. Would this work similar to attaching vacuum hose into skimmer basket, or is it specific for a robot vacuum or?

Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid Oregon
Well, we did some investigating... and the pipe goes... NOWHERE! It's sealed off about 4 inches inside of plug. Bummer - we were hoping for another jet or at least some kind of cool function. Thanks for all the insight, folks!