My unusual tile is installed :)

I like it! I wish I could do an IG install and have it be all tile instead of these other finishes no one seems completely happy with. That tile is amazing and I'd probably ask where you got it!
It's just waterline tile. I looked everywhere bc although I loved the look of glass mosaic, I was being warned everywhere I turned not to use it. I knew there must be a 6x6 ceramic that would look like a small print but keep the PB happy. It's from aquablu mosaics.

It's just waterline tile. I looked everywhere bc although I loved the look of glass mosaic, I was being warned everywhere I turned not to use it. I knew there must be a 6x6 ceramic that would look like a small print but keep the PB happy. It's from aquablu mosaics.

Why were you warned about using Glass Mosaic

Why were you warned about using Glass Mosaic
The main reasons I've been given (many confirmed on this awesome website) include:

Glass can develop calcium lines, can crack or even pop off in certain temperatures, 1x1 is not enough surface area to assure strong bonding, can scratch when cleaning, 1x1 uses so much grout that you'll have dirty looking tile....

Just Google "why not to use glass mosaic as waterline tile".

This was one of the posts that scared me:

Have to take what you read with a grain of salt. If you read my first posts here you will see the answers I got vary quite a bit and only one was actually accurate to what needs and is being done. Seems the problematic tile is from Luanda Bay. It also seems to be tile that is exposed to freezing temps and from perhaps bad installation. My neighbor's pool which is three years old lost a foot or two of ceramic tile on his waterline recently so no matter what there can be problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have to take what you read with a grain of salt. If you read my first posts here you will see the answers I got vary quite a bit and only one was actually accurate to what needs and is being done. Seems the problematic tile is from Luanda Bay. It also seems to be tile that is exposed to freezing temps and from perhaps bad installation. My neighbor's pool which is three years old lost a foot or two of ceramic tile on his waterline recently so no matter what there can be problems.
I agree with you, and I'm usually pretty sensible and rational about these things, ha. It just took a couple of pool builders to warn us against it and I was too scared to choose it. But I've seen plenty of perfectly happy customers with glass. This was a good compromise for me.

Sorry I am just now getting to this. Had LOTS going on the end of the week! BUT here I am!

Here ya go!! This is how to get a great plaster job and a guideline how to start it up?
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

That tile really stands out! Is it grouted yet? If so what color did you pick? They did an awesome job on the skimmer! Great skills!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Kmadonna
The ten guidelines for quality pool plaster is a bit much imo. That is guidelines for the person doing the work, not the consumer who has paid a contractor to do the work. i'm not about to stand over my workers and measure the amount of water they are using per batch, etc. They are the professionals who have done the work for decades. You don't stand over someone rebuilding your bathroom or working on your vehicle. Plus who is to say the guidelines are accurate.

I like it! Very modern and unusual for a pool.
@doug527 I'm sure @onBalance could answer any questions you may have about the accuracy of the 10 guidelines for quality pool plaster and why it is good information to have while the pool is being built. You may not stand over the plasterer's shoulder while he is mixing it up, but it is good to be able to ask informed questions and have a working knowledge of what should be happening when your pool is being plastered.

It is an unfortunate fact that some plastering contractors do not always produce quality pool plaster. It might be because the plaster crew was in a hurry, or they don't understand the "cause and effects" of poor workmanship and materials.

The link below is to a more informative article on plastering issues, and is helpful for the novice to understand what they can do to ensure a good plastering result.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.