My test kit FINALLY arrived and I have numbers for you guys!

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
ontario, canada
FC 5.6ppm
CC 0.2ppm
pH 7.6
Alk 105? went clear at 100 and red at 110
Ca 420
CYA -- this is stumping me. We have had it tested at the pool store twice this year. The first time they said it was low and to add some. We did...about 4 cups. The next time they said there was none so we added a bunch again. Now since then we've had to use pucks a couple of times while we were away. Today I tested with the new kit and could still see the black dot when the test vial was completely full?!? Riddle me this

I'd like to add this product today as well and would love any advice that you have as to how I should proceed at this point.
Here is the product page http://www.lawrasons.com/POOLSPA/spotlight/poolsoft.html
Here is the data page http://www.ilovemyoasis.com/commercial/pdf/law/pool_soft_supreme.pdf

Re: My test kit FINALLY arrived and I have numbers for you g

Yes, I did know that. It actually priced out cheaper than getting the borax and the acid so made more sense to do it this way.

I was calculating out the borax we'd need based on that very page when I found this product cheaper.

survey77777 said:
Yes, I did know that. It actually priced out cheaper than getting the borax and the acid so made more sense to do it this way.

I was calculating out the borax we'd need based on that very page when I found this product cheaper.
Sounds like you've got the BBB approach well in hand, then!

survey77777 said:
CYA -- this is stumping me. We have had it tested at the pool store twice this year. The first time they said it was low and to add some. We did...about 4 cups. The next time they said there was none so we added a bunch again. Now since then we've had to use pucks a couple of times while we were away. Today I tested with the new kit and could still see the black dot when the test vial was completely full?!? Riddle me this
The 4 cups should have raised your cya to [s:1wgjc6uk]21[/s:1wgjc6uk] ~10 ppm. How many pucks and how much more cya have you added? The granular cya can take up to a week to show on test.

survey77777 said:
FC 5.6ppm
CC 0.2ppm
I would use the 10 ml samples size that gives you a 0.5 resolution verses the 25 ml sample size you are using. It will save you reagents and the increased resolution is not needed.

My OH was doing the adding at that time, but if I had to guess he added another 4 cups. We did replace our filter in between those additions so I'd be willing to accept that we could have lost a fair amount of the first dose but not the second. We avoided any backwashing etc for 10 days afterwards as well to avoid losing more. I'd say he's added a total of about 10 pucks over the time period too. I seriously can't figure this out.

Thank you for the advice on the sample size. I went with the more accurate one for a first time as I really had no idea what I was getting into! Your logic makes sense to me.

10 3-inch pucks (~8 ounces each) should have added ~ 14 ppm cya.

How were you adding the granular cya?

Total right now should be the initial [s:kiw65bh9]4 lbs cya added 21 ppm, additional 4 lbs of cya added 21 ppm, 8 pucks added 14 ppm for a grand total of 56 ppm[/s:kiw65bh9]. This is assuming you didn't backwash any out. 56 ppm is as high you should go unless you have a swg (saltwater chlorine generator).

I got your cya numbers wrong...I reading lbs when you were writing cups.

4 cups will add 10 ppm not 21 :hammer:

So you should be around 34 ppm total.

When did you add the last batch?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We have had it tested at the pool store twice this year. The first time they said it was low and to add some. We did...about 4 cups. The next time they said there was none so we added a bunch again. Now since then we've had to use pucks a couple of times while we were away. Today I tested with the new kit and could still see the black dot when the test vial was completely full?!? Riddle me this
Unless you made an error on the testing, you have no CYA....or at least less than 30 (What kind of test do you have?)

NEVER trust pool store testing. How you ended up with less than you thought would be there I don't know but DO NOT trust the pool store test over what you can see with your own eyes.

I reviewed those directions and they are the exact steps that I took when I tested.
The test kit that I have is the Taylor K-2006
I'm assuming there is no logical reason that we would lose CYA other than that it was lodged in the sand of the old filter. This would account for some loss...but not the stuff added afterwards.
Regardless, I appreciate all of the advice here and will add more tomorrow.
As to adding the boracic acid...can I just go ahead and do this anytime?

So this issue has been puzzling me now all day long. I tested the FC this morning and it was at 5.0. Then this evening it was only down to 4.0 after a heavy day of swimming, super high temps, and straight sunshine all day long. So if I have no stabilizer how is this possible.
I also retested using the other bottle of reagent in the kit to see if I got the same results...and I did.

Nothing has been added to the pool in this time frame and there are no pucks in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.