My TA is dropping but the PH remains the same

niceguymr

May 28, 2010
My TA has dropped from 90 to 80 but my pH has remained steady at 7.5

Should I be trying at all to bring my TA back up to the 90-100 range or just let it be unless the pH goes down too?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Accuracy on the TA test is +- 10ppm so let it ride until you can make an adjustment you can detect.

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
TA contributes to Calcite Saturation Index (CSI) which is a measure of whether your water is likely to cause scaling, is likely to cause etching, or is balanced. TA can be adjusted to keep your CSI in range (e.g. to offset high CH)

High TA causes upward pressure on pH. TA can be adjusted to minimize pH drift.

To answer the question where your TA should be we need a full set of test results, but there is no reason to adjust TA just for the sake of getting it to a certain number.

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
TA shouldn't drop unless you add acid. Are you using trichlor tabs? I see a tab feeder in your signature. They will slowly drop pH and TA both. As long as pH is stable, I wouldn't change your TA.

niceguymr

May 28, 2010
svenpup said:
To answer the question where your TA should be we need a full set of test results, but there is no reason to adjust TA just for the sake of getting it to a certain number.
FC - 9
CC - .5
PH - 7.5
TA - 80
CH - 260
CYA - 75

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Trichlor will constantly lower the PH a fair bit and the TA a little. Something, most likely aeration, is raising the PH back up. However aeration doesn't raise the TA, so TA will fall slowly.

Other Threads of Interest