Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I’ve just started adding my CYA via the sock method, says to add 10 pounds, I’ve started low at 4 pounds and will go from there. Salts a little high, and TA is slightly high. Any major concerns from the pros.
17,500 gallon, fibreglass, Salt water.

P.H. 7.4
T.A 90
C.H 420
F.C 2.4
Salt 4000 ppm
Salt 4000 ppm
CYA not registering anything yet
Temp: 84

Thanks for any input,
Ed

4 lbs of stabilizer in your pool volume is 26 ppm CYA. So you may not fully read that even when completely dissolved. Was their CYA in this water before?

At what FC generation per day do you have your SWCG set at? While raising your CYA, I would set it at 4 ppm FC per day. You do not show what IC you have so I can not give you % generation/pump run time.

4 lbs of stabilizer in your pool volume is 26 ppm CYA. So you may not fully read that even when completely dissolved. Was their CYA in this water before?

At what FC generation per day do you have your SWCG set at? While raising your CYA, I would set it at 4 ppm FC per day. You do not show what IC you have so I can not give you % generation/pump run time.
There was no CYA in the water before it’s a brand new pool. I have the Pentair IC 20, yes I should have got the IC40 but I’ll have to wait until this one dies now....It’s brand new. I have the pump running 24/7 and below is a picture of my IC 20 and what it is running at.

Attachments

• EE7376EB-95F9-46DD-9910-16F4F43C2E1F.png
    EE7376EB-95F9-46DD-9910-16F4F43C2E1F.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 20
Great. So starting dissolving another 4 lbs of CYA.

Set the SWCG At 90% for 24 hours per day. Then test your FC each evening and adjust the % generation as necessary to keep you FC at or above about 6ppm.

Your goal CYA is 70 ppm. So use that for FC. Target for that level with a SWCG is 5ppm.

In your situation, I would be concerned that the SWCG could not keep up with FC loss from the sun. Approximately half of the FC added will be at night, but all of the FC loss is during the day. So you could easily drop below target level in the early evening. So test FC in the early evening.

Your goal CYA is 70 ppm. So use that for FC. Target for that level with a SWCG is 5ppm.

In your situation, I would be concerned that the SWCG could not keep up with FC loss from the sun. Approximately half of the FC added will be at night, but all of the FC loss is during the day. So you could easily drop below target level in the early evening. So test FC in the early evening.
Ok will do, I’ll keep you posted. So to turn my IC-20 to 90% I basically just hit the “more” button one more time to get it up between the 80% and 100%?

thanks,
Ed

OK -- that limits your settings to 80% or 100%. The Pentair equipment is designed to be used with their automation, not for standalone operation.

So, set it at 80% for now and check your FC in the early evening. If below 5-6 ppm at that time, raise to 100%. I suspect you are going to have to use the pump run time, or at least pump rpm, to zero in on your FC needs with your system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- that limits your settings to 80% or 100%. The Pentair equipment is designed to be used with their automation, not for standalone operation.

So, set it at 80% for now and check your FC in the early evening. If below 5-6 ppm at that time, raise to 100%. I suspect you are going to have to use the pump run time, or at least pump rpm, to zero in on your FC needs with your system.
Ok sounds good. What automation do you recommend I buy

Pentair has several different levels of Automation. The basic system is IntelliConnect. The one wild card is your pump. The Supermax (also called Superflo) was not controllable via automation in the past. But if your pump was manufactured after November 2020, then it is automation controllable.
The Intelliconnect has draw backs as it uses a Pentair app to remotely control your equipment. It has shown to have issues.

I would suggest you work with your pool this summer to see how it goes. If you are satisfied with what you have, great. If it becomes an issue, then investigating automation may be a good plan .

Pentair has several different levels of Automation. The basic system is IntelliConnect. The one wild card is your pump. The Supermax (also called Superflo) was not controllable via automation in the past. But if your pump was manufactured after November 2020, then it is automation controllable.
The Intelliconnect has draw backs as it uses a Pentair app to remotely control your equipment. It has shown to have issues.

I would suggest you work with your pool this summer to see how it goes. If you are satisfied with what you have, great. If it becomes an issue, then investigating automation may be a good plan .
Sounds good. I’m 2-3 weeks deep into a brand new pool, never owned one before. It’s all very new. I will say the water is crystal clear so far....knock on wood.

Attachments

• 58CC7550-39A8-4988-81E2-979D74733E96.png
    58CC7550-39A8-4988-81E2-979D74733E96.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 425D9D33-5462-4ADF-B1B1-758DA8E56CD0.png
    425D9D33-5462-4ADF-B1B1-758DA8E56CD0.png
    409.4 KB · Views: 24
Ok, I have started to register some CYA, 8 pounds added and I am going to wait a couple days and test again. Tonight’s results were as follows. I did up my SWCG to 80% and my pump is running at 2400 RPM.
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 420
Salt 4000
FC 2.4
CC 0.4
CYA 40

thanks,
Ed

Tomorrow you should add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to add 5 ppm FC. The SWCG is to maintain the FC. You need to get the FC up to or above target range with LC.

Ok I will do that tomorrow, can I just dump the jug right into the pool or does it need to be pre mixed with water and can the kids swim right away or keep them out for a bit.
thanks again, really appreciated.
Ed

Ok so I did my early evening test after adding 8lbs Of CYA, adding a gallon of liquid chlorine and increasing my SWCG to 80%. And this is the current result.

FC 10
CC 0.2
PH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 50

thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Early morning test result.

FC 10.6
CC 0.2
PH 7.6
TA 120
CYA 50
I will lower my PH a bit and aerate to bring down TA. My FC went up .6 over night so I suppose it’s good I’m not losing any but seems high, any suggestions or concerns @mknauss

Overnight, there's no sun to consume FC. If you didn't have a SWG running, and tested after sunset and again before sunrise, your should have essentially zero FC loss. I'm concerned that yours only went up 0.6.

Speaking of 0.6, that tells me you're using a 25 mL sample size. Using a 10 mL sample is fine, and uses significantly less reagents. Pools don't need the 0.2 level of precision that 25 mL sampling provides.

Anywhere between target and SLAM level on the FC/CYA chart is safe for both your pool and your kids to swim in. Especially while getting your SWG dialed in, it's best not to be too close to the bottom of target, nor SLAM level, since we aren't sure what your pool is going to do yet.

Keep testing and reporting your results. We'll get it dialed in and you'll know what to expect in short order.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.