My Pool Overhaul

May 1, 2017
Walpole, NH
I struggled through last year with a leak (or two), losing prime, poor filter/energy performance etc. Overall general pool headaches due to what I believe stems from poor construction 20+ years ago and age. I'm out to remedy this year. Please comment if you see something that looks like it doesn't fit with the ethos of TFP.

The existing is a 18'x36' rectangular steel wall standard hopper inground pool. Approx 30,000 Gal with an 8' deep end.
3x 1-1/2" buried black poly lines leading back to the pool house. One from the skimmer, one from the bottom drain and one out to both returns run in series.
The skimmer is centered on the southern (long) wall with the two returns spaced 10' on either side of the skimmer.

The pool overhaul plan is:
1. A new "wide" skimmer with both bottom ports plumbed in parallel with 2" lines.
2. I'm going to re-use the existing return locations and existing stub lines under the concrete but plumb a 2" header down to the takeoff Tee and replace all of the barbs and clamps as well as new wall fittings.
3. Run a new 2" to the bottom drain barbed 90 that turns down from the service trench. I'll take opinions on replacing the bottom drain but it's "optional" right now.
4. Add two new return locations under and slightly outward of the skimmer to aim down like an aquagenie. I'll home run that new pair with another 2" header/manifold.
5. LED light housing directly under the skimmer. Currently no underwater pool light.
6. New vinyl liner.
7. All Sch40 rigid PVC with Sch80 fittings. Only long 90's. Three step 3M gluing process, clean, prime and cement with "clear".

As for the pump room, all new valves, fittings, and pipework with isolation for all underground lines using full port union valves. The existing 1.4 hp Hayward pump and Perflex65 DE filter will stay but be plumbed in parallel with a sand filter and full port 3-way diverting valve. I envision opening and vacuuming with sand, otherwise filtering the water with DE.

Valves, pipe fittings, and pipe are ordered and 1 day out. Next on my todo is get the liner on order with new skimmer, returns and LED. The local pool shop will fill in the remaining bits I forgot.

2017-04-29 15.10.33.jpg

Hi Snowanfsafads\
Welcome to TFP.

item 1. You will gain anything by running 2 parallel 2 inch skimmer lines. A single 2 inch line is more than enough. You would need a massively large pump to make any use out of the 2nd line. Actually, what the 2nd hole in the skimmer is for is to tie the main drain to the skimmer suction line into series, then use a diverter valve to adjust suction between the skimmer and main drain line.

Recommend to just plug the 2nd hole in the skimmer. Run a dedicated line from the main drain back to the valve manifold.

2. Im assuming you have maybe 4 return fittings in the pool ? For purposes of maintaining at least somewhat equal velocity on all of the returns, run 2 sets of Retun Lines with 2 retuns outles in series on each of the main return lines. Use a vale on each main line at the valve manifold to equal out the flow velocity as much as possible. Also, I wouldn't increase the diameter of the pipe or the return fittings, as this would decrease the velocity of the water flow. Its the velocity of the flow that your pool will need to circulate well.

3. If you rework the bottom drain, do the drain so that it meets the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa act which is a legislative saftey mandate enacted by Congress. OR, just do away with the main drain all together. There is no good reason to have one anymore. THere are 1000s of pools and mine is one of them without a main drain and more being built ever day. It just one more penetration through the liner and a few more joints of pipe that you wont ever have to worry about leaking.

4. OK

5. Most lights are located at the deep end of the pool so it illuminates the whole thing as well as it can. The "sideway's" throw of the light beam seems to me like it would be too weak to help the entire length of the pool. Especially the 8 foot deep end. But if you wanna put it under the skimmer, I guess you can do that.

Thats about all I might be of any help with.

Good Luck!

Good idea Dave. After a little more reading and thinking about it overnight I'm going to move in the direction of no main drain. My rational is ineffective cleaning, a slight risk of entrapment and an unserviceable liner penetration. I'm going to abandon the bottom drain in favor of a side wall suction port. I can use that port for a kreepy style vacuum connection in parallel with she skimmer for much better cleaning, and when needed I can use it as a low-water suction port when I can't refill the pool late in the season.

The question becomes how should I plumb the vacuum port. Is there a benefit to using the equalizing port of the skimmer or should I just home run both the skimmer and vaccum/low-water port? I'm leaning towards home runs.

The pool currently only has two returns but my plan is to add 2 more fairly central to the long wall of the pool (within reach of the hole I have made for the new skimmer install). Each pair of returns will be fed by a 2" header before Teeing off to 1-1/2" liner penetrations. The shallow end will still probably get a noticeably lower flow (as I get today) but I'm ok with that since it's also the shallow end.

Quick update.

Sch.40 PVC bends really well when heated at 275 over your BBQ. Soft pipe makes complex angles and offsets easily and reduces the number of fittings. It's difficult to see in the photo but I needed to "climb" up and out of the hole to my trench depth and also turn the major 90 to run towards the pump house.

From the top down (pool wall penetrations) I have a new skimmer with a 2" suction line. Two new returns plumbed off a 1-1/2" line with a Tee, an 1-1/2" line for a nichless light and a 2" line (1-1/2" wall port) for a dedicated vaccum/creepy port. I will also plumb the 1" autofill line to the back of the skimmer but my plans do not include using it yet as my pool house doesn't have water. If all goes well the new liner should drop in this weekend.

B36o0B-G9Sb3UAxcxcvAl-AP-9gZwaHbo-fYgzDAXYagO3LlCK_TI01tAygWrPf7nJNWw2aHiOCMhOxRqI7AI-zY7zNLGxcdei5uB6VzoTmqFfWO0v6ceRd0ZmX20Zv4Twz3hg=w600-no

RnvjYZtqy9YIcaVAUvSNxJUqv2ObH7JlB4sT93Eun1nJ97PK6Y2YSj5qeiuQweiNzT1i_fcQ6L5hG3_82uwHL3Xf1NIwR0BFQgxcTrUIhAHXvvWGs7bK-VYepNgLNBCYPp51iQ=w600-no

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.