My Little LEAK...

TFP_wanna_be

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2010
Orlando, FL
Okay.... I want to have my pool resurfaced and now I have a leak... WONDERFUL!!!
While I have not done the bucket test - I dont think I need to...

This is what I know:
Blocked skimmer suction line with 1 1/2 plug
Blocked waste line
No water at the pump (leaks)

9:30 pm The level was at "X" on the scumline BLACK LINE
7:30 am the following morning the water-line dropped by 2 inches. RED LINE
5:30 this evening, the water dropped another 1/2 inch on the scum line. WATER LINE

Note: Once the water hits 1/2 below my tile, I do think leaking stops... I need to pay better attention. And now I am... I will not refill as I watch the leak rate...

I can buy the plugs to stop the MD and the returns, but I'm holding off until I confirm the rate of water changes once it goes below the tile. I'm not shocked at tile leak - there is little to no grout.

I'm lovin' it!!
562458c8.jpg

That look like a shoreline, rather than a pool :mrgreen: Maybe it's tides, not a leak :lol:

I'd try a vessel test, wherein, you plug all lines to and from the pool and compare it to a marked bucket :?

Keep up with the pics and the info and we'll narrow it down :-D

waste said:
That look like a shoreline, rather than a pool :mrgreen: Maybe it's tides, not a leak :lol:

I agree... lots of sand and wind (could not do the dye test since the water is moving from the wind) the skimmer is off to catch the goods - its a mess... I didnt do a bucket test since it dropped inches in less that 12 hours... At 9ish I plan to go see what my fate is and record it...

My plan is to ride out this 'test' until 7:30am - If I dont have the same drop as the first night then I know I'm on to a tile issue... If the rate of drain is the same then its not the tile and on the the vessel test...

eric99gt said:
Just a question as I'm no expert but shouldn't the leak source be completely independent of the grout issues around the tile? Grout is just for filling in the cracks around the tile not for sealing the pool.

I tend to agree... My logic tells me that the tile is just for looks. At the same time I have read/heard of folks saying that missing grout leads to leaks. EXPERTS?

So..... its 5:30. The drop has slowed down, may be half an inch today... I still have water on the tile.
Its been cool - almost cold in FL this week so the sun isnt doing much etc... LOWER RED LINE was today 7:30am

Next check = 7:30am Thursday:
If I drop below the tile, I'll let it keep dropping and record it and so on...
If I dont drop below the tile, Vessel plug it and refill...
As I mentioned, I think this will stop at the tile line

I meet with my FIRST pool guy on Thursday evening...

d2a1ce0f.jpg

pretty sure I found at least one leak.... I will refill on friday and put the dye to the test... Stay tuned!!
9a4fc9b4.jpg

I was able to see between the tile (missing grout) and saw lots of space, so I snapped the tile. There are a few suspect areas on the wall behind the tile. I also noticed (RED ARROW) where water appears to have an exit behind the skimmer box. I assume the water exits on the BLUE path... Only dye will tell!!

Well... THAT could explain a little water loss :lol:

You had talked of replastering, the folks who do that should be able to fix the problem. :-D

It'd be nice to know if this is the only problem spot, so that all issues can be addressed at the same time.

BTW - good detective work :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.