My IC40 SWG has no lights

Just found my IC40 with no lights on. I keep reading about a fuse but do not have the separate power box for the SWG. My connection goes directly from the SWG to the main Pentair panel. There isn’t a gray plastic cap with screwdriver slot anywhere on the bottom of my panel. I cannot find published ANYWHERE where the fuse would be. My pool was installed May 2016 on the GA coast. Have had the usual problems with this system but it’s actually been running great this summer. Now this!
Better not need a new IC40 after 3 yrs. My pool is only 10k gallons. Appreciate any helpful advice ;-)

Sea,

You do not have a fuse, you should have 4 small circuit breakers in the upper right of your main panel.. One is marked "IntelliChlor"

But I suspect it is something else... The cell should not have any lights if the pump is not running while in the Pool or Spa mode. This is done by having the power to the SWCG's transformer go through the pump/filter relay.. If the relay is not closed, the cell will have zero lights..

Are you in "Auto" or are you in the Service mode???

Do you have voltmeter???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all for your replies. Went out to take some photos and noticed the top portion of the IC40 was slightly lifted. Maybe a quarter of an inch but enough to notice it. I had a large screwdriver with me so I checked for movement and the top came right off. I am posting a pic of what I found along with the Pentair panel that we have. At this point my IC40 is DEFINITELY dead! My question is...did this happen because there is not even six inches between the output from the filter canister and the input to the IC40? There had to be alot of pressure coming from somewhere to create this kind of water damage. UGH!!

!IMG_8784.JPGIMG_8785.JPGIMG_8786.JPG

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Flying Tivo
OMG! Definitely dead and very much corroded. You can try calling customer service and send pictures as that type of failure can be a bad seal on assembly and not a negligent use. Remember to use Liquid chlorine in the meanwhile. Might as well start thinking of a small shed or cover to protect equipment.

Reactions: Newdude
What bothers me is the fact that the Pentair manual clearly states to install the IC40 AT LEAST eighteen inches from the output. This unit was clearly not installed that far away. We have lots of tree cover and don't get alot of rain. With our high temps in the summer things tend to evaporate pretty quickly. I'll definitely reach out to Pentair but I'm afraid the responsibility lies with our pool installer.

Sea,

RIP...

The length of the input pipe would have no impact as to what pressure there is...

That said, that problem was not caused by too much pressure.. Most likely a seal inside the IC40 failed..

Most systems had a three year warranty, so I would call Pentair and as, Felipe says, share the pic with them and see if they can help you out..

We have see this before, but it is not a very common failure..

Please let us know how things go...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The old manuals used to say 12” minimum of straight pipe before the input. In theory the manufacturer is worried about turbulent flow from a 90 deg bend causing the flow sensor to trip intermittently. In practice, that kind of issue is rarely ever seen. I barely have 12” of straight pipe before my SWG and I have never had a flow switch trip issue.

That is clearly a failure of the cover sealing properly against the SWG body which I believe is actually welded PVC (probably ultrasonic/thermal weld). So it was either defective out of the box OR the installer damaged it during the pool equipment install. It just took a long time and exposure to the elements for the failure to happen.

I’d give Pentair a call and a chance to make you whole. You might be surprised by their response.

Also, do you winterize your pool equipment at all?? If you get any kind of sustained freezing temps, you might consider pulling the SWG inside for the winter. Just a suggestion.

My IC 40 did the thing at the end of last season. The top seperated from the main body and water got in a shorted stuff out. And I have at least 18 inches of straight pipe on the output side. FWIW, my cell was 5 yrs old.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
**knocking on wood** my swg is hooked up to a 90 with the heater before it on the other side of the 90. As far as i knew it was normal until i read the manual on my replacement. (It died from age, not the 90)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.