My first test with the TF-100

GoldMember

May 12, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Hi, I received my TF-100 today, did some testing, plugged everything into PoolMath, and here's what I've got.

FC=3
CC=.5 (?)
pH=7.8
TA=100
CH=525
CyA=5 (?)
Salt=3000 (Intellichlor)
Temp=in the 80s

I was pretty confident about my FC and pH numbers because I've been testing regularly. I added some acid just after testing in order to bring the pH down and will check again tomorrow. My SWG is set at 30% pool and 15% spa.

The TA should come down along with the pH according to PoolMath....checking tomorrow.

CC, Is it possible or even necessary to get readings more accurate than .5? I put one drop in at the end and it turned clear, so that gives me .5 or less, correct?

CH, I was dejected when I saw the PoolMath response to this. :( It just feels like it could really throw me off if I have to replace 26% of my water.

CyA. The test showed no detectable CyA. IOW, the liquid was clear and the dot was never obscured. Leslie's test showed a value of 5 two weeks ago, so I assume that's what I have.
My question on this is....my pool is covered all of the time. We have an automatic, disappearing cover so it's really easy. Because my pool sees relatively little sunlight, can I adjust the target range downward? I have had a container of dry isocyanuric acid granules for some time. Does it have a shelf life? I would love to be able to use it.

As you can see in the attached photo from a few days ago, my pool is beautifully and clear, no complaints whatsoever with that. I guess I have some work to do though so please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Our Pool May 2020.jpg
    Our Pool May 2020.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ok so , bring the ph down to 7.2 with MA, leave the TA alone as that will come down gradually. Bring the FC up to slam as per poolmath. Get the CYA up to 30 via the sock method all while slam is in progress. When FC holds then you can do an OCLT. Your done when you pass OCLT with a max loss of 1ppm and you pass all 3 criteria. CH is manageable the way it is. You may need to add salt for your SWCG but not sure what is optimal salinity for your brand. Since you have a covered pool and it won't see the sun you can probably get away with 50ppm for the CYA. Make sure you keep the FC in the target range and not at the minimum range by balancing pump run time in conjunction with SWCG percent. Poolmath can figure it out for you if you plug in your SWCG info. Keeping the water balanced with a slightly negative CSI is key to a smooth non scaling salt cell. Oh and you'll need THIS to accurately test your salt as nothing else will suffice. Best of luck.

Reactions: GoldMember
Thank you, wireform, for the detailed response! Very helpful. And mguzzy for the solid clarification.
Sorry, I'm a noob....PoolMath did not say to SLAM. Did I miss something? Please let me know. Not something I want to do if it's not needed.

I re-tested today after adding MA yesterday. Things look better. I took a screenshot, see attached. Where do I learn how to share a link to my test?
PoolMath says my ideal pH range is 7.6-7.8. It's 7.5 today. Do you still want me to go to 7.2?
CH came down. Either that or I'm just getting more comfortable with the tests.
Salt for my Intellichlor 40 is in the range, all good.
CYA, thanks for the insight, given I'm a covered pool. Once I hear back about this latest test result and make any adjustments, I'll find a sock and start adding CYA.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Pool test May 22 2020.png
    Pool test May 22 2020.png
    107 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Don’t get too hung up on the PoolMath recommendations. Know what your levels should be and use PoolMath to figure out how much of things to add if you do want to hit a certain level (like for pH or FC), but otherwise don’t chase “perfection” with what the app says is ideal. Use it as a tool, not a guide.

Ah, ok, thanks guys. I'm starting to get it. When I turn on CSI and TEMP, my CSI says .07. PoolMath seems to like that. Wireform, I'll try to bump CSI down a touch to keep it negative.
I'll get some CYA in there and soon I'll have a routine for MA and SWG percentage dialed in. Hopefully that will get me all the way through summer.
Much appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.