Bronze Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
Conroe, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys, first time pool owner and I have just ran my first set of tests on my new pool and I was wondering what the experts thought.

------------------------------------------
Test Results 01-03-2020 @ 03:57 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 1.6
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 8.0
Total Alkalinity: 120
Calcium Hardness: 300
CYA: 50
Temperature: 60°F
CSI: 0.34

The above are the results and using Poolmath app I’m am planning on adding bleach (151 oz) and Muriatic acid (37 oz).

Is there anything else I should add and can these chemicals both be added at the same time?

Thanks

Good job. :goodjob: Your chemical additions look good. With a CYA of 50, don't let the FC drop below 4. Over time, I would expect the TA to slowly begin to go down which should help you when the water gets warm again. For the FC test, you can simply use the regular method: 10ML sample with one generous scoop of powder. Count drops and mix until clear. Divide in half. i.e. 20 drops = FC of 10.

Reactions: Iam1964
Sure. Here are my personal notes, along with others from our teaching sections:
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Reactions: Iam1964
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.