My first summer with a pool...is it this easy?

Dec 10, 2018
Birmingham, AL
First of all thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I've learned a ton and was able to maintain the pool myself and I had never touched a pool before (other than cannonball'ing in someone else's) so I feel good about that. Below are my most recent test results and a couple questions...

FC 10 (has typically been 7-8 ppm but I guess with the change in sunlight I've been losing less chlorine and haven't adjusted the salt cell?)
PH 8.1
TA 60
CH 75
CYA 60
SALT 3200

I've had my pool open since Memorial Day when we put in a new vinyl liner and this is the first test where pH was higher than 7.8. In fact it never deviated more than 7.7-7.8 all summer. I haven't had to add muriatic acid a single time. Is this normal or am I just extremely lucky? Below is all I've done since we replaced the liner. I'm not complaining but it has been way easier than I anticipated. Am I missing something?
  • Filled pool and added salt to 3200-3300 ppm
  • Added CYA to 70ppm
  • Adjust pump or salt cell % to achieve correct chlorine
  • Skim leaves and brush sides/bottom with brush
  • Run polaris cleaner when needed (ready for it to die so I can rationalize buying a robot!)

Yes it really is. As long as proper levels are maintained and tested, only adding what the pool needs, it's a piece of cake!

Not sure about the rising ph or why. Mine typically drifts down a little in the spring (from all the rain we get) nothing
that some borax won't solve quickly.

Yup,
its pretty much that easy. Dont worry about your pH rise, too much. If its been steady all summer, then thats good. A little pH rise wont hurt you. My pH is also very stable, rarely have to add any MA. You can partially thank your vinyl liner for that, and your TA is equally to thank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.