Kubota364

Oct 11, 2021
Baton Rouge, LA.
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
How did my CYA get so high without adding any? I noticed above this could be the reason of my low chlorine in the pool. I know my salt system isn't working right but I've been supplementing with tabs. Any ideas? TIA

FC 0
PH 7.7
Alkalinity 90
Cya 140
phosphates 0
Salt 3700

How did my CYA get so high without adding any? I noticed above this could be the reason of my low chlorine in the pool. I know my salt system isn't working right but I've been supplementing with tabs. Any ideas? TIA

FC 0
PH 7.7
Alkalinity 90
Cya 140
phosphates 0
Salt 3700
For every 1ppm of FC added by a "tab," you are adding .6ppm of CYA. Tabs have CYA.

Reactions: Kubota364
use PoolMath effects of adding to see all the consequences of a specific chemical on your water
You need to use liquid chlorine to supplement fc to prevent adding more cya to the water.

See this -->FC/CYA Levels

It will be very difficult to maintain sufficient FC unless your cell is sufficiently oversized.

You should consider replacing 50% of your water, which will get you to 70 CYA. Draining, Further Reading
Ok I can do that, I'll have a new cell on the way soon. Its the t15 and my pool is only 16k.

Ok I can do that, I'll have a new cell on the way soon. Its the t15 and my pool is only 16k.
Might help if you fill out your signature like mine below. If you have a high water table, read the section of the drain page for water exchange. Don't want to see you float your pool.

Its the t15 and my pool is only 16k.
Sweet choice. Per poolmath it will make you 3ppm in 6.5 hours of 100% runtime. That will help longevity greatly only needing to run it 1/4 of the day more often than not.

Sweet ROI too. The T3 ($349) costs half of the T15 ($699) but makes about 1/3 the chlorine. (.53 to 1.47). So you’ll get almost 3X the lifespan for only double the cost.

The T9 ($549) falls somewhere in the middle being .98 lbs a day. Still a bargain long term but not as good as a bargain.

Reactions: Kubota364
Are those results from your testing or a pool store? You need an accurate result from a proper test kit
Test Kits Compared
before you make such a large change.
Pool store cya tests are known to be flawed.
When u get your kit in you will need to do the diluted version of the cya test.
step 8👇
You don’t want to go through all that draining & refilling only to find out you drained too much or not enough.
With cya so high & a fc of zero for any length of time you likely now have an organics problem which will require a SLAM Process
A cya between 30 & 60 is ideal for this otherwise you use alot more liquid chlorine.
To rule out organics do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
All of these things require a proper test kit.

Reactions: Newdude and Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are those results from your testing or a pool store? You need an accurate result from a proper test kit
Test Kits Compared
before you make such a large change.
Pool store cya tests are known to be flawed.
When u get your kit in you will need to do the diluted version of the cya test.
step 8👇
You don’t want to go through all that draining & refilling only to find out you drained too much or not enough.
With cya so high & a fc of zero for any length of time you likely now have an organics problem which will require a SLAM Process
A cya between 30 & 60 is ideal for this otherwise you use alot more liquid chlorine.
To rule out organics do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
All of these things require a proper test kit.
Those levels are from my Taylor test kit but I can take a sample to my local pool store and compare. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.