My $5 Return Jet Aerator

JaceTheAce

Bronze Supporter
Apr 10, 2020
Utah
I've received a lot of useful help from this forum and want to give back a bit.

My pool pH keeps dropping weekly and I need to raise pH without touching my already high TA so as a quick fix I've been adding Borax. I reached the 60ppm threshold and needed to start aerating. I looked at the "SPA O2" return jet aerator nozzle, but holy Crud it's obscenely overpriced ($60) for a block of plastic. So I decided to try something DIY first to see if it would work, and it turns out it worked beautifully.

My solution is a $4 bar clamp from Harbor Freight and a $1 length of 1/2" PVC from Homer Depot. All I did was zippy tie the pipe to the clamp in front of the return jet and 7 hours later my pH was up from 7.1 to 7.3. I'm running it again today for 8 hours to get it to the 7.4 range.

Ignore the plastic bucket. I just forgot to move it for the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_174559.jpg
    IMG_20200912_174559.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20200912_174607.jpg
    IMG_20200912_174607.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 96

JaceTheAce

Bronze Supporter
Apr 10, 2020
Utah
Can you please explain how that works. Is this sort of a venturi effect.

Yes, Venturi Effect pulls air into the return stream. I first tested by just holding a section of pipe over the return stream and it made a jet of bubbles. I'm still surprised it was so simple and it works in raising pH.

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Yes, Venturi Effect pulls air into the return stream. I first tested by just holding a section of pipe over the return stream and it made a jet of bubbles. I'm still surprised it was so simple and it works in raising pH.
Will have to try it somewhere, sounds cool when I think about it.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.