Mustard Algae?

May 18, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can someone tell me if this is Mustard Algae?
I started a Slam on Sunday to treat an outbreak that formed while I was away last week. Once I got the water clear enough to see the bottom (Tuesday morning), I started seeing a few small spots like these (not on the walls just on the bottom) so I vacuumed the spots to waste and raised my chlorine levels to 26ppm with CYA at 30. Chlorine reading after dark was 24ppm and dropped to 22ppm overnight (Wednesday morning).
Because of other pressing matters, I had to suspend my slam on Wednesday (today). When I got back to the pool today the water was still a little hazy and three of the pictured blooms appeared.

Was wondering what my next steps should be. Slam at regular levels or Mustard Algae chlorine levels?

Here are my current readings:
FC:8
CC:0
CYA:30
PH:7.6
TA:100
CH:120

Some of my reagents are a few months past expiration. Would this throw my readings off by a lot? Ordering a new kit today.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, my pool store said that my CYA reading may not be very accurate because my phosphates are very high (1456). They said my CYA was 44 when my readings showed less than 30 - probably closer to 20 but maybe because old old reagent. Should I be worried about my phosphate? Seems like most here say not to worry about it.

I'm gonna intercept here and point out why we ignore pool stores and their results. They simply are clueless at every aspect of pool care except depleting your wallet. Take their advice out of the equation and your path seems simple........

1. Ignore phosphates
2. Show us a pic of your algae. It is VERY likely NOT mustard algae
3. I assume you can still see algae in your pool.......if so, time to restart your SLAM
4. Follow the SLAM article to a T. You are done with the SLAM when.....

1. Your Pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae
2. You passed the OCLT losing not more than 1 ppm of FC
3. Your CC's test is either .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

Thanks!
My water is a little hazy but I don't see any algae except the 3 places that may actually be pollen. The whole pool gets full sun most of the day. We do have several trees near the pool but none actually over hang the pool.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get my camera to take pictures that will load. I have my camera set to its lowest setting and it keeps telling me they are too big to load. They are only 5-7 Mb in size. Any help with that would be appreciated too.

So should I restart slam at normal slam levels and assume it isn't Mustard Algae?

I think before I start again, I need to get new reagents - particularly CYA reagent. No local stores sell Taylor kits. And the soonest I can get from Amazon is 4 days for a whole new kit or 2 days for some of the small individual replacement bottles.

I suggest you order a new kit. We suggest the Taylor k-2006, Taylor K-2006C, TF-100 from TFTestkits or TF_PRO from TFTestkits. You will likely have them in the next 4-5 days and meanwhile, simply put one jug of clorox (unscented) bleach each day until your kit gets in and you can test.

We'll all help you every step of the way........including the testing if you want. We'll have your pool sparkling and clean and you'll be amazed at what you have learned........promise!

I suggest you order a new kit. We suggest the Taylor k-2006, Taylor K-2006C, TF-100 from TFTestkits or TF_PRO from TFTestkits. You will likely have them in the next 4-5 days and meanwhile, simply put one jug of clorox (unscented) bleach each day until your kit gets in and you can test.

We'll all help you every step of the way........including the testing if you want. We'll have your pool sparkling and clean and you'll be amazed at what you have learned........promise!
I am trying to upload pictures and it keeps telling me the uploaded file is too large for the server. I have changed my camera settings to take the smallest resolution pictures but still no luck. Any suggestions?

Yay, was able to resize pictures on Paint 3D so they would upload!

Can someone tell me if this is Mustard Algae, some other algae, or pollen?

Does not seem to grow on walls. Not sure if it would grow on the walls if I let it grow long enough. This is a bloom that grew overnight after I had vacuumed (to waste) the previous night's growth. FC:8.5 and CC:0 at the time this picture were taken.

Planning to restart a new slam when I get fresh reagents in the next few days. Leslie Pools told me my CYA was 44 but my expired reagents said less than 30 one time and then around 30 after retesting. I know, I know, don't trust Leslie. But they tested my water when I complained that the gallon of liquid stabilizer they sold me did not seem to change my CYA level.

083947.jpg084003.jpg084038.jpg084137.jpg

Looks like regular algae. Once you receive your fresh test kit refills, run a full set of tests and post back so we can advise from there. In the meantime, add about 5 ppm worth of chlorine per day and continue to sweep/vacuum when you can. With the new test results I'm sure we can help you through this before closing in the next month or two.

I received m new reagents yesterday at 4PM yesterday and resumed my slam. CYA was 35 so I added 2 gallons of shock which brought FC to 19.5 by 5PM - water was slightly hazy. I brushed entire pool scrubbing extra hard in the three places where alga has been starting to accumulate.

Brushed entire pool again at 8PM and 10PM

11PM Readings (dark)
FC:18.5
CYA:NA
PH:7.4
TA:100
Water Clarity: clearer than earlier

6AM Readings (dusk - not dark)
FC:17.5
CYA:40
PH:7.6
TA:110
Water Clarity: Clear but not quite sparkling
Algae had started to accumulate at the same three spots. But the accumulation was 1/3 to 1/2 the density of the previous 2 overnight accumulations.

10AM Readings
FC: 16
CC: 0
Clarity: mostly clear, slight haze, not sparkling

Should I continue to slam at 16 or ramp up to Mustard Algae levels?

(The water is clearer at the deep end than the picture shows)
073152.jpg073231.jpg073247.jpg

Last edited:
Should I continue to slam at 19.5 or ramp up to Mustard Algae levels?

Continue slam until water is clear, including algae on walls or floors, dead or alive. SLAM level for CYA of 30 is 12. Anything higher is unnecessary until you are ready to go to mustard levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Phosphates are high according to Leslie but per advice here, I am disregarding it and have not tried removing it.

Have I touched what stuff? Are you asking if the deposits are sand? I have not gone in to take a close look at it but I can try that.

I can't remember when I last changed my sand but it has been several years. Since it has taken a week to get the water clear I have been wondering if I should change the sand. I just brushed them away so it will be a few hours for them to reaccumulate. And want to turn the heater on for a little bit before going in. :)

Last edited:
Are you asking if the deposits are sand? I have not gone in to take a close look at it but I can try that.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Just thought it would be good to see if it has a grainy texture to it to confirm or rule-out sand.

As for the phosphates, I was asking if you ever used a phosphate remover product because those can result is a soft, brown deposit around the pool as the dead phosphates settle. But if you haven't used such a product, we can rule that out. Doing a good sand deep clean might be worth your while.

Was able to resume my normal slam but was having trouble passing OCLT because over night rains kept messing with my morning chlorine levels. Plus the green spots pictured above keep coming back over night. But I kept slamming for several days during which time my water became sparking and the green accumulations each day became smaller and smaller. Finally cleared OCLT after a few days with no accumulations and sparkling water. As the chlorine levels dropped to normal levels the green accumulations over night have stopped coming back. All goo for a few days now. I am once again convinced that this slam process works if followed to a T, no short cuts, and a lot of patience!

Thanks to all f you that have offered advice!

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.