Steingreaber

Jul 28, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Have been fighting a mustard algae problem for quite some time. Getting ready to SLAM pool. Did an overnight FC loss test and we lost 2.0ppm. Our CYA level was at 100 so we decided to drain 75% and then refill before SLAM. Our CYA did not go down, it is still 100. We live in Albuquerque on water restrictions so we do not want to fully drain.

Should we still SLAM to get our FC up to 39/57 with mustard algae? How do you test that the FC is up that high?

Current values are:
FC 1
CC 0
CYA 100
pH 7.8
TA 140

Kelly Steingreaber
25,000 gal IG gunite pool, DE filter
Usually on water restrictions
Leslies/Taylor DPD Test Kit

Welcome to TFP :)

To start a SLAM you will need a test kit to test Free Chlorine level up to 50, 10 is not going to cut it... FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test

The reason your still over 100 CYA is because that is the limit of the CYA test...

Take 1 cup pool water and mix in 1 cup tap water and test CYA then multiply it by 2 IE: 75 x 2 = 150 CYA

A SLAM can be done with a CYA at 80 but it will take A LOT of Chlorine to get done... it really will come down to cost, if it costs 200 dollars to replace water and 300 to 400 for chlorine go with water if it costs more for water go with chlorine.. :)

Where you are at you probably want CYA to be 50 or 60 if you are putting liquid chlorine in daily.. The other very good option I would recommend would be to go to a Salt Water Generator, you would keep CYA at 80 and once you find your run level per day you would just test daily :)

25k gallon pool I would recommend the SJ 55 or the RJ 60 plus, the 55 does 2.3 pounds of chlorine a day and the RJ 60 does 3.1 pounds, I have 15k and have an SJ 45 and I run the pump 6 hours in spring and fall and 8 to 9 hours in the summer... you may have to run 2 hours longer... :)

I hope this helps :)

To start a SLAM you will need a test kit to test Free Chlorine level up to 50, 10 is not going to cut it... FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test

The reason your still over 100 CYA is because that is the limit of the CYA test...

Take 1 cup pool water and mix in 1 cup tap water and test CYA then multiply it by 2 IE: 75 x 2 = 150 CYA

A SLAM can be done with a CYA at 80 but it will take A LOT of Chlorine to get done... it really will come down to cost, if it costs 200 dollars to replace water and 300 to 400 for chlorine go with water if it costs more for water go with chlorine.. :)

Where you are at you probably want CYA to be 50 or 60 if you are putting liquid chlorine in daily.. The other very good option I would recommend would be to go to a Salt Water Generator, you would keep CYA at 80 and once you find your run level per day you would just test daily :)

25k gallon pool I would recommend the SJ 55 or the RJ 60 plus, the 55 does 2.3 pounds of chlorine a day and the RJ 60 does 3.1 pounds, I have 15k and have an SJ 45 and I run the pump 6 hours in spring and fall and 8 to 9 hours in the summer... you may have to run 2 hours longer... :)

It does! Thank you very much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.