Mustard Algae, SLAM, Testing(How Long Should I Wait)

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
I just completed the SLAM process due to a Mustard Algae outbreak. I met all 3 requirements of SLAM. I've been running my pool pump 24 hours per day for 4 days and brushing daily. Now awaiting drop in chlorine level. At the peak of the SLAM process, my chlorine level based on my CYA and using TFP chart and testing was 40.5.

I read several posts noting other test results ie. PH, etc. won't be accurate at high chlorine levels. So I'm looking for the resumption point at which I can again perform all other pool tests ie. PH, CYA, Borate, TA, etc.

Thanks....

Sounds like you did great. Is your water really clear?

The only test you can't perform well is the pH test due to high chlorine levels. As the chlorine comes down to around 10 ppm, you can accurately test your pH and you can test your other parameters anytime.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to let the FC come down and then post a complete set. Nice work!

duraleigh....thanks for the quick response. Yes the water is crystal clear now. It was a mild case of MA. Interestingly enough, I haven't had a MA problem in 5 years. All of a sudden it came on after our last tropical storm. Have been struggling with it until I did the SLAM. Soaked all pool equipment and toys. Got rid of all cloth type toys, figuring they may be harboring algae. I suppose it's possible that I let either my CYA or Borate level drop too low. Normally keep my Chlorine at 5ppm. So I'll test PH just to be sure and retest as Chlorine subsides to around 10ppm. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.