Murky/Cloudy Water 4 Days After Slam

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
I passed OCLT on Saturday and am eagerly awaiting FC to drop below 10 so I can touch up the other levels and do some polar plunges w/ hot tub relief...

Water is getting clearer but still not crystal clear. I followed SLAM to a T and continue to skim and vac.

Pump is running 5 hrs a day to help filter all the water.

Just confirming I need to wait a little longer to get it crystal clear?

Also, why is it slightly cloudy? Dead algae suspended?

Good question Van. Remember, one of the 3 SLAM criteria is clear water because it is still filtering lots of suspended organic material. Hopefully that material has been killing by the chlorine by now, but we still recommend continuing with the SLAM protocol until the water is clear. One exception might be for some smaller pools with limited filtration that can take longer than normal. In those cases, we might say it's okay to let the FC drop and give the filter more time to do its job. But I don't see that with your cartridge system though. I would recommend continuing with the SLAM to be safe so that your water doesn't regress and end-up starting over. Also, let the pump continue to run 24/7 to help get that stuff. A relatively low rpm of about 1200 is fine for that. Hoopefully it won't be much longer. And remember, you can still go in the water up to SLAM level. :swim:

Reactions: setsailsoon
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Reactions: Van G
Oh boy, you are very close. This may be the toughest part of any SLAM - the final clearing of the water. Hang in there. But yes, and long as your FC has not exceeded your FC SLAM level based on your CYA, you can be in the water.

Reactions: Van G

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe you are done. I would let the FC slowly drift down to normal and keep running the pump 24/7........just to get any last bit of dirt/debris.

Your pool looks crystal clear to me.

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.