I'm gonna' catch a bucket of grief for this but I use nothing in the way of protective clothing. I keep the jug sealed until I get to the edge of the pool, kneel down on all fours, and carefully pour it into the return stream about 1 inch above the waterline.
I feel it's the least amount of handling and the least chance of a splash on my clothes. So far, so good after five years.
You're gonna get some methods that differ A BUNCH from mine, however.
One of my hobbies is woodworking and my experience is that whatever liquids come in cans/bottles WILL get on my hands. :? I already have a pair of chemical rated gloves so I wore them when I added the acid this evening and of course I was being hyper-careful so my gloves stayed dry. Mostly wanted to know if anybody masks up too.
I do wear protective glasses but I had corneal burns from a chemical solvent when I was young so I am a little cautious on that end of it. I don't wear gloves unless I am trying to open the protective liner under the cap on a new jug. I measure the stuff into a plastic meauring cup that is sitting on a plastic tray next to my pool so if I spill it I can push the whole thing into the pool! I pour it slowing into the stream of the return from the measuring cup. I keep the hose handy and turned on, running slowly into the pool, in case I need to rinse down a spill or any drips on the side of the jug.
Protecting your eyes and lungs is a very good idea, but this stuff is just not that hard on your skin.
I frequently clean efflorescence from my grout with undiluted MA in a bike bottle and have splashed it on my hands many times. If it's on there for a while I eventually notice a very slight burning feeling, but even after doing that I've never had any visible burn on my hand. If there was a good reason to (which I can't actually imagine), I wouldn't hesitate to submerge my hand in the stuff.
Jumping in the pool after splashing a bit on your skin is overkill (except for a certain special area). I'm much more worried about splashing it onto stonework or concrete than my skin.
what kurt said. it's not that hard on you, worst thing you could really do is 1) splash it in your eyes and 2) inhale it pretty heavy but that will mostly just end up in a coughing fit for a few minutes.
be careful with it, watch the vapors and just pour it in nice and smooth and you'll be fine. i as well am way more cautious about my stained concrete and stonework.
Is muriatic acid dangerous, YES! - will a little splash kill you, NO! I suggest that anyone who uses it do so in their comfort range, with reguard to protection - and definately keep it away from children (* note what I said about keeping it in proximity of chlorine in my linked post!!!!)
Maybe I'm doing something really unsafe without being aware, but here's my method.
I transfer some acid from the gallon jug into a plastic Powerade bottle. It's kind of like a measuring cup.
Then, I begin to tip the bottle of acid in such a way that my hand and the bottle actually go underwater before the acid leaves the bottle. I then pull the bottle through the water away from the opening.
As I drag the bottle, I can see the "cloud" underwater where the acid leaves the bottle. So I pull the bottle through the water without crossing the trail of acid already in the pool.
This method basically eliminates any splashing, but even better, there are no fumes. I can feel the bottle get warm as water gets inside as acid leaves, but it's not warm enough to hurt or anything.
I don't wear any protective gear other than my regular glasses.
You do need to always be cautious about splashing in your eyes.
It will take your breath away, so also be careful of the fumes. When there's a slight breeze, I pour my dosage into a plastic container that I've marked the 1 and 2 cup lines on and make sure I am upwind of any fumes. Then I drizzle the dosage along the edge of my pool as I walk/stooped along the opposite side of the pool from where my skimmer is located.
I've splashed a little on hand, arm or leg. It burns a little but your skin isn't going to melt off. I usually go to an area of the pool away from where I've just added acid and rinse off it off.
I watched a guy acid wash a pool this summer who didn't use goggles or a mask, nor gloves. I don't recall if he had rubber boots on - even. I really don't know how he could stand the fumes. Usually, I've seen them wearing masks and all sorts of protective gear.