Muriatic Acid Use

May 28, 2013
Washington, Il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
All I can find these days around here is Kleanstrip and it’s really low % acid. There are labels at every store saying that it has a chemical that reacts with chlorine and it shouldn’t be used for pools. What’s up with that? And where’s a good source to get the good stuff?

Reactions: Bperry
Do you have a Home Depot anywhere near? In MN I get 32 baume muriatic acid from HD. I don’t trust Kleanstrip, I researched it once and decided it wasn’t what I wanted, but I don’t remember why. I think some here have said it’s ok, but I’d look around a bit more, a local hardware store may have something better.

All I can find these days around here is Kleanstrip and it’s really low % acid. There are labels at every store saying that it has a chemical that reacts with chlorine and it shouldn’t be used for pools. What’s up with that? And where’s a good source to get the good stuff?
There are two issues. Storage and mixing.

If you store in the same general area, particularly with metals around, you will get corrosion. Even capped in the same general area. Separate the storage of these two chemicals.

If you mix the two, you are in for a bad experience. Just make sure that you:
Add to the pool and separate the addition by 15-30 minutes. Add ACID to WATER, never the reverse. Please wear goggles/gloves and stay UPWIND with ACID in particular and never a mask. When you add MA or Chlorine to the pool, pour over a return line and do so *SLOWLY*, like 1 gallon over 2 minutes. Also might want to use a brush to swirl the water. This will protect from bleaching a liner (ask me how I know).

You follow these rules and you should have no problems.

Reactions: CraigChing
There are labels at every store saying that it has a chemical that reacts with chlorine and it shouldn’t be used for pools. What’s up with that?
A clarification, yes, don’t mix muriatic acid and chlorine together. I’ll add acid first, then chlorine an hour later with the pump running throughout both additions. I think some here say 30 minutes minimum, but I’m not usually in a hurry to add chlorine. There is probably something documented here in the site you can read about it as well.

Just another side note, be careful when adding muriatic acid. Add directly to the pool slowly over a return and don’t breathe the fumes. Try NOT to be downwind to avoid the fumes. I turn my head away and be careful with my breaths. It sounds bad, but with a little care you can be safe.

EDIT: I usually stick the whole bottle in the water and tip to barely let the acid out. This also makes sure any acid on the bottle is diluted before I set the bottle on the deck.

Reactions: Tcadwall0
Also might want to use a brush to swirl the water. This will protect from bleaching a liner (ask me how I know).
I can attest to this. I slacked this year and got lazy. Now I have bleached liner around my main drain which I thought was worthless for water circulation 😕

This ought to be your closest big orange box (home depot). Look outside by the pool stuff next to the latticework and fence parts and stuff.

View attachment 371632
This strength isn’t available in all areas. I have to get the strong stuff in the next county over. Our county only sells 14.5%

• Sad
Reactions: TexEdmond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.