Muriatic acid questions

Poolbella

Silver Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
Houston, TX
Hi all!

So I am a couple of weeks into managing my new pool. I added MA last week for the first time, and put the jug with the remaining acid away in the garage. Yesterday when I opened it back up, there was a fizzing noise and then a bunch of fumes came out looking like steam kind of. After that stopped, I went to pour some out to use it and there were white chunks in the acid I poured. It didn’t look like it should go in the pool so I poured it back in.

Is the bottle ruined? What caused it? What should I do with this bottle now? I’m already terrified of using the acid, this just made it 10x worse!

Thanks

Do not store MA in the garage. The fumes from it will corrode any nearby metal. I have a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid that I store my MA in, out side.

I cannot say I have ever seen what you did. Disposal would need to be at your local household hazardous waste facility.

What brand and strength was the MA?

It's common for acid to fume when you open it, but it's uncommon for there to be anything in it.
Did something happen fall into it as you opened it?
Did the white pieces look like plastic?

As asked above, what brand and strength is it. It might be better to post a pic of the label.

I think it may have been from the foil seal as I didn’t remove it completely when I opened it last week. It looked like paper or plastic maybe.

It’s the Leslie’s brand.

I already realized I need to store it elsewhere so have a plastic tote ready to go for it outside now. The trouble is that every place outside has metal close to it, either my equipment, AC, grill or the utility boxes I have on my property! We’re going to have to get creative.

@Poolbella

MA is pretty dangerous stuff, that’s why I prefer to use the 14.5% diluted version you find at Walmart in the pool supply isle. You don’t get the hissing sound when you open it, (the cap is vented) and it’s a bit safer then the strong stuff.

I keep mine stored outside in a small (all) plastic deck box away from any metal. :cheers:

Outside is not as big an issue with corrosion. As long as it is not sitting on the metal or very very near it. Wind, etc dispersed the fumes pretty well.

All MA caps are vented.

Best price I have found in Arizona is Home Depot. Two gallons for $12. Full strength.

I think it may have been from the foil seal as I didn’t remove it completely when I opened it last week. It looked like paper or plastic maybe.

That's what I was hoping it was. You should be fine using it. Just plastic pieces out of the pool once you pour it in. If it gets in the skimmer it isn't a big deal. Either the skimmer or the filter will catch it.

I already realized I need to store it elsewhere so have a plastic tote ready to go for it outside now. The trouble is that every place outside has metal close to it, either my equipment, AC, grill or the utility boxes I have on my property! We’re going to have to get creative.

MA is pretty forgiving and stable to degradation. You can sit it in the middle of the yard in the sun and it'll last a long time.

I found out where my local HHW is located so I’m just going to take it there, better safe than sorry. When I opened the new bottle, I noticed that the lining of the cap appears to be moldy. I wonder if it was that. I think I will be getting my MA elsewhere.

The white flakes are a salt. Not an issue. The seal does degrade. Up to you but I doubt it is an issue to use it if all it was was the seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.