Muriatic Acid Question

pink

May 13, 2020
Long Beach, CA
I've just started taking over my pool 2 months ago. In the middle of a SLAM right now. I had a question about muriatic acid.

I had bought some a few months ago and out of the box it was yellow. I just picked some up today and it's perfectly clear. Is this normal? Was the yellow batch I bought contaminated?

IMG_3313.jpeg

The bottleon the left bought yesterday, bottle on the right bought a month or so ago. (was yellowish even before opening)

Do they work equally the same?

Also I'm trying to get the ph from 8.0 to 7.2. I've used the pool math app. How long before I test the ph again? Or if I've added the correct amount according to the app can I just go ahead and add the chlorine recommended for the SLAM?

I've never seen totally clear in a jug. That doesn't mean its bad, though. The HCl we used in chemistry class in school was clear. Open the lid and wave you hand over the clear jug and sniff the fumes. You'll know fast enough of it's acid or water! Don't just stick you face over and take a deep breath. Wave the fumes over.

Half an hour should be enough time to retest. If you're worried, brush some to stir things up. Like adding cream to coffee but n an enormous scale.

Reactions: pink
Yeah, I've accidentally inhaled a bit before so I'm scared to do the whiff test. I put a test strip in there and it turned bright yellow. The box was completely sealed, the jugs had the tamper-proof seal under the caps.

Welp just got off the phone with HASA Socal representative. They said they recently got a batch of muriatic acid from Texas where they don't dye the acid. She said it's the same product but in California they dye it yellow and in Texas it is clear and undyed.

Reactions: mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.