Muriatic acid bottle expanding in storage (hot outside)

Jimharris99

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I’ve read a lot of posts about storing muriatic acid. As a result, I moved my bottles out of the garage and into a plastic storage bin outside. I’m in north Texas and don’t have much shade. It’s been 100+ the last few days, and went to get some to add to the pool and the bottom of the plastic bottles are expanding. Presumably gas buildup, but I thought these bottles were ventilated? Is the bulging normal? I purchased at Home Depot, their HDX brand. The garage actually stays relatively cool, I’m just worried about the potential corrosion leaving the bottles in the garage. Can’t seem to escape any area these days that doesn’t have some kind of metal around (shelves, cars, hot water heater, etc). Any thoughts or suggestions? I tried to pick an area on the side of the house that gets the least amount of direct sunlight during the day, but it’s still getting maybe 4 hours of direct sunlight. Acid is in the bottles it came in, in the cardboard box, in a plastic storage tote. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or is in the wrong forum.
Thanks,
Jim

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I get the same acid. Sits in a plastic trash can with lid in the sun until mid afternoon. In really hot conditions (118 today). And have never seen that.

Check them first thing in the AM. If safe, open them and puncture the plastic film under the cap.

Rattus Suffocatus

Silver Supporter
Jun 5, 2019
Corona de Tucson, AZ
The bottles are not ventilated. I would just burp them occasionally if that's going to be an issue. I don't think you will get nearly a large enough amount of pressure to blow the bottles, anyway, but burping them should help and can't hurt. I store mine outside in a plastic bin but it's fully shaded there so I don't experience that even though it's probably hotter here at present.

Jimharris99

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll start with that. I didn’t notice the bulge until the last few days when it’s been much hotter out. Maybe I’ll try a different tote too....picking a black one probably want the wisest of decisions.

🙄

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.