muratic acid recommendations in pool math app

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My test the other day showed ph=8 (max for my test kit). 1 drop of reagent lowers it to 7.4. The booklet in the kit says to add 286ml of 20 Baume for 40,000 liter pool. The app gives me very different instructions. When I input TA=70 and Borates=90 it tells me that I need to add 2.3 liters to get 7.5 ph (my target). Without entering TA and BOR it tells me I only need only 62ml. Why is there such a big discrepancy between the app and the test kit? Am I looking at something wrong? I verified that I have 47,000 listed in the app.

I normally add about 300ml but thought I wasn't adding enough so I added 1 liter to see the effect. When I checked after an hour of pump running on low it was at 7.5. The next afternoon it was at 7.4.

Borates have a large effect on how much acid is needed to move pH.

You have added Boric Acid and do have a test showing the 90 ppm of borates?

I put your info into PoolMath. To lower your pH from 8 to 7.5, with a TA of 70, and 40000 liters, I get you need to add 317ml 31.45% muriatic acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.