Multivalve getting impossible to turn.

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
So I bought my home last year and it had an in ground pool with a low of newer equipment but the multi valve to go from Filter/Backwash/Rinse/etc has become progressively more difficult to move. It is now to the point that it takes both arms and putting body weight into moving this thing. There is a lot of discoloration(algae or dirt I'm assuming) where the handle turns that piece but I'm not sure how I would go about cleaning that or if this would help? Would some form of silicon or lubricant help?

Let's hope it's something you can fix relatively easy. Consider removing the top of the multiport valve. Careful to note the direction of the handle to put it back the same way and keep track of the retaining screws. Flush the area real well. Sometimes sand or junk gets wedged in there. At the same time, inspect the spider gasket for wear or to see if it got pinched/rolled. You may also see a spring under the handle that can get dirty/rusty and may need some lube. Depending on your model MPV, you may see another area or two that could use some pool silicone. Hopefully it's something that simple.

I agree with Jim, if you are going ot open it - rebuild.

Once fixed I am a proponent of always turning the valve only in one direction to keep from messing up the spider gasket....

Hey guys sorry to bump an old thread but its apparent I have a bad spider gaskep since my backwash is leaking through anytime the pump is on. So this promps the question- is this something I can with the system 'under pressure'? As in as long as the pump is off, can I leave the multiport on the sand filter or does the assembly need to be removed?

It does not ned to be removed form the filter most times, but can't be done "under pressure". The multiport valve is what directs the water flow. How it needs ot be doen will depend on your setup. In my case, teh filter is below the pool, so I need to valve off all lines before I fool around with the valve. If the filter is above the pool water level you may not need to do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you positive you are able to remove the spider gasket? Most of the time they get installed with glue, making it nearly impossible to remove. I have a Hayward book here at home. I'll reply if I find the number for you.

Edit. Looks like it could be a SPX0710 model. Look for a SPX0710XD

Last edited:
Excellent! I replace those quite often. Instead of glue I use a light silicone sealant under the gasket so that it wont pop up when turning the valve. It works like glue however if you need to take it out it will peel off easily.

Boss 820 or Magiclube II will work.

The top part of the multiport was already replaced. That's why it's a different color.

Do you have a picture of the whole filter?

eDkrTX9.jpg

67AXxkF.jpg

Quick question. Can a bad spider gasket cause sand in the pool? I am getting the tell tale sign of sand blown in a line at each return but am wondering if the spider gasket I haven't replaced yet is the culprit?

I also have let the pump run dry on two occasions in the 3 years I have had my home. Both times I thought I had left the filter on Filter but instead had it on Backwash draining out my pool for hours. (I have to flip my breaker within the garage instead of having controls at the pool). The pump works perfectly fine but I've read there is some form of wetside seal that this is murder on within the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.