Multiport with no "winter" setting

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have a Pentair TM-22 multiport, which has no "winterize" setting. We've been closing our pool for the last 10 years, and this year, neither of us can remember how we've been doing it. **facepalm**

Googling it says to leave it between two settings, so the valve is left open... but my husband says he's 99.9% positive he's never done it that way (not that it's wrong... just that we've never done it like that). He feels like he's always used "Closed"... but I can't find anywhere that says to use that setting... so, here I am, asking my favorite expert panel. :-D

Thanks friends!!!
Cathy

Attachments

• 20221001_170505.jpg
    20221001_170505.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 6
Leaving it between two settings forces all ports open, so if any residual water is left in the valve it’s not likely to crack in a freeze due to ice expansion. Putting it in the closed position seals the valve from any water entering. If any water is trapped in the mpv in the winter, it could crack during a freeze. The safest approach is to set it between two settings.

Reactions: Saturn94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.