Multiport leaking

So the pump and filter are now in their new location. Here's the good and the bad.. I enlisted the help of a few neighbor guys to help move it bc no one around had a dolly. Well low and behold they moved it by lifting at the mulitport valve. :shock: Everything looks fine, nothing appears out of place or broken. I hooked everything back up, filled her up and started her running. I found two small cracks from over tightened fittings. Now there's air in the lines. (I've posted this as another topic) But I also found that when I turn the valve to backwash it starts leaking at the screw fittings on each side of the multiport. I tightened the screws, maybe half a turn and it still leaks. Water is also now shooting out of the view glass, it didn't before. I'm guessing the pressure from lifting at the valve messed with the gasket???

What steps should I take next?

you will need to replace the spider gasket, and the o-ring seal around the top of the valve.

Both are cheap and easy fixes. You can use rubber cement to keep the new gasket in place, but do not use any permanent type of glue.

When you pop the handle and for lack of a better word "lid" on the multiport you will see the spider gasket. If your leaking water from the backwash view finder, while the handle is on filter the gasket is blown or messed up. Remove all of the old gasket, and clean the channels with a flathead screwdriver. This will pull all the old crud and cement so the new one fits properly. Once the channels are dry put the new gasket in and if your having trouble with it sliding out of place you can apply a couple dabs of rubber cement. I also recommend using a fair amount of vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the gasket and within the mulitport. It will help the valve slide easier when turning the handle, and prevent friction from pulling up your new gasket.

Also check the seal under the lid/handle to your multiport, If the screws are all tightened down and it still leaks, replacing that large o-ring would help. You can also use the vaseline here to help ensure a good seal when you re assemble. Good luck hope this helps.

this question is not intended to come across as cynical or sarcastic but, You are turning off the pump before you turn your multiport correct?

Because if the pump is still running, this sure way to bust a gasket everytime you backwash.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I do turn off the pump before turning the handle. Thanks for asking. The view tube used to barely spit water during normal 'filter' mode. Now it hurls water just on the 'backwash' mode and just since I moved the pump/filter. Before I moved everything I also noticed a clicking noise when turning the multiport valve. Is this also associated with the o-ring, gasket? Btw, I have waterproof grease lube - this should work, right?

Yeah any type of grease will work, but heres my disclaimer.. Im not sure if it will affect your water chemistry.

We use vaseline at my commerical pool because its cheap, and hasnt affected water chemistry for me personally. However, yes it does slowly dissappear and the valve tends to stick again over time. although This usually isnt a problem for us because my dummy lifeguards tend to blow gaskets all the time, thus we just reapply the jelly. Ive found that having some type of grease on top of the gasket and inside the port, helps maintain the gaskets longer, and its easier to turn the handle.

The clicking noise you hear is normal. There is a large spring just under the handle that applies pressure to the lid to make sure the valve stays closed. The vaseline helps eliminate that clicking and sticking which is the sound of friction from the valve as it rotates around the top of the gasket inside.

esim13: So your only seeing large amounts of water through the viewfinder, while backwashing?

Because this is normal. Your supposed to see alot of water rushing past, that backwash pipe leads to your sewer or waste based on your setup. When you backwash your filter, you are reversing the direction of water flow through your filter. Normally while on "filter" or "rinse", the water enters the top pipe into your filter, runs through the sand, or DE, and the clean water returns to your pool through the lower pipe.

On "backwash", your mulitport reverses the direction of water> water from your pool now enters the filter from the bottom pipe, and is forced up through the sand, (this pushes all the garbage that has been caught be the sediment upwards to the top of the filter. This dirty water then exists your filter through the top pipe, where the multiport directs the flow to your backwash pipe (through your viewfinder) and into the sewer or waste hose, so that the garbage does not re-enter your pool.

So basically when your mulitport is set to "backwash" you should see alot of water running through this glass viewfinder. This water should look dirty at first, (if your filter is dirty) and will gradually clear up to let you know that the filter is clean again.

I just realized i never answered how you tell for sure if its a gasket issue.

Option 1, Take the handle/ lid mount off the multiport. Unscrew all the screws and lift up, It should come free with the handle and lid. Immediately under that youll see the spider gasket, (the rubber seal that separates the different compartments) if it needs to be replaced, you will see pieces missing or tears and abuse.

option 2, run your pump on filter, like normal. If there is water leaking, or spraying through your viewfinder, then the gasket is no longer sealing properly and needs to be replaced.

I understand what you're saying but just so you know here's what my multiport looks like. I don't have a top and bottom, more of a front, back or side to side.

IMG_2688.jpg

Before moving it to it's new location the water did go through the viewtube and sort of spit out every now and then through the two little holes. Now it goes thru and spurts out of the two little holes with a little more force in the spurt. Could the force/pressure be higher now because I changed from 1.5" to 2" pipes? I guess it just caught me off guard cause I hadn't seen it do that before. I only backwashed briefly b/c I was checking to make sure it worked after hooking it all back up. I refilled it yesterday from below the return line (b/c of move). I just balanced the water again so I'd like to wait a bit before I backwash again. I think I'll have to bw in a few days b/c we're expecting rain. Btw, my guage is reading 11, before the move it read 13, right after the move it read 9. I guess I'm just trying to make sure everything is pretty much ok since the move. I'll definitly check the gaskets and o-rings tho, just to be sure.

Thanks for all your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.