Multiport bypassing sand on filter setting

It seems that when I have my multiport set to filter it is only recirculating.
I think this because:
There is a lot of water pressure when set on filter(the same amount as if I put setting on recirculate and more than I am accustom to seeing).
The clear bubble that shows if water is cloudy on side of multiport does not show water when on filter and does on backwash.

this multiport is maybe 2 years old at most. However, when I received it, I do remember that it was "sticky" trying to turn to different settings. As a matter of fact, I thought it wouldn't turn but eventually it did move. They weren't that expensive, and I HATE dealing with returns so I just kept it.
On a positive note my pool is crystal clear. I am using a sock in the skimmer so I think for now that has been keeping water clear (it took me a couple of days to figure out something wasn't quite right and investigate).
I read another thread. But it didn't really help me understand.
Is this something that I can try and take apart and fix myself?

So I watched video and knew i could change that. However, mine is a "super clear" and apparently, the spider gasket comes glued into the multiport and you have to buy the entire multiport.
So, went to pool store, they sod me one similar but a different brand and were positive it would work. It didn't. So will order the entire multiport unless anyone has any other suggestions.

So how would I know if the water was actually going through the sand? The water pressure coming into the pool is really strong. Seems stronger than usual. On the flip side, my pool has been going like it is for a week and it is crystal clear. I am using a sock in filter basket.

So how would I know if the water was actually going through the sand? The water pressure coming into the pool is really strong. Seems stronger than usual. On the flip side, my pool has been going like it is for a week and it is crystal clear. I am using a sock in filter basket.
Test it. Throw a handful of something into the skimmer and watch to see if it comes out the returns. Dirt. Diatomaceous earth How about some flour or talcum powder? Something that isn't water soluble. It'll cloud up the skimmer and if your sand is channeled or the multiport is broken, it'll come shooting out the returns in a few seconds. You'll see a big plume.

Reactions: frustratedpoolmom
ooooohhhhh! so smart...why didn't I think of that ?????? I put a little trash, never saw it come out. Put some baby powder... never saw it come out. when I had to lower water earlier in summer, I backwahsed for about 5 minutes. Ever since then the pressure has been amazing. Is it possible I broke something. Or is my filter just working that good?

ooooohhhhh! so smart...why didn't I think of that ?????? I put a little trash, never saw it come out. Put some baby powder... never saw it come out. when I had to lower water earlier in summer, I backwahsed for about 5 minutes. Ever since then the pressure has been amazing. Is it possible I broke something. Or is my filter just working that good?
If you broke anything, it would be the gauge. Some innards broken would let stuff blow right back into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.