Multiple Cracks in Concrete Coping

Feb 1, 2018
Atlanta/GA
Hello all. I am brand new to TFP, but I am having a pretty serious cracking issue with my concrete coping.

After the 2+ weeks of sub freezing temps that we recently had here in north Georgia, I went outside the check on my pool, only to find several (and by several, I mean hundreds) of spider web style cracks, all over my concrete coping.

Any idea what causes this? Any one else have this type of issue with their concrete coping? How do I keep this from happening again?

Attachments

• Pool Coping Cracks 1.jpg
    Pool Coping Cracks 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Pool Coping Cracks 3.jpg
    Pool Coping Cracks 3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Pool Coping Cracks 4.jpg
    Pool Coping Cracks 4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 375
Hello Mknauss. Thank you for the welcome.

I have completed my Signature.

The coping is coated with Star Deck I concrete coating. Stardek - The Originator of Decorative Concrete Coating Systems... since 1972!

I too have seen concrete cracks, in the past, but I am at a complete loss as to why the concrete coping is cracking and fragmenting like this.

Any suggestions and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

So is the coating cracking or the actual concrete? the pictures implied to me it was a coating that was cracking. That would not surprise me.

Take care.

Here are details of my pool.

12,000 Gallon IG Gunite Pebble Tec Salt Water pool with Raised Spa and Waterfall Return into the Pool
Pentair Control System

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, it is the actual concrete pool coping that is cracking, not just the coating.

That is the most unusual cracking of concrete I have ever seen.

I would suggest making contact with the contractor that installed it. I assume it is fairly new?

Yes, the concrete work is fairly new. It was done in March of 2017 (just under 1 year ago).

Initially, everything looked great, all through the summer, fall and most of the winter. It was only when we had about 10 days of sub-zero temps with freezing rain and snow, did the cracks appear...

I have already had he contractor come out to see the damage and he admitted that he had never seen cracking like that before either.

I am trying to get an idea of what might have caused it, so that we can avoid something like this happening again, in the future.

I've searched the interned for "cracked concrete pool coping" (and other variations of that search) but I have not found anything near this level of concrete cracking. That is when I reached out to the forum...

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The only type of spider cracking in concrete I have ever heard of is called 'crazing'. It happens when the surface of the concrete is allowed to dry too quickly and a smooth surface is used. But it only effects the surface and does not extend down into the bulk of the concrete.

You are sure the cracks extend down into the concrete. The fact that the coating cracked after low temperatures is not all that surprising.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately, it appears that the cracks seem to go all the way through the coating and into the concrete. They don't appear to just be on the surface.

- - - Updated - - -

When the coping was done was it a rubbed face to get it smooth? If so it is a possibility that they put concrete paste on it to get the finish.

The contractor did not use any concrete paste on the finished concrete before they applied the coating.

Sorry about your trouble.

The repairs to me would be tear out and replace with precast concrete. I think it looks really nice.

I agree. I am about to start getting quotes on the repair. I just can;t stand not being able to figure out the cause of the cracks.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this before, please let me know.

Thanks!

I've seen spalling similar to that when the mix was too light on portland and way too much water was used during troweling/finishing. Is the concrete near the cracks kind of soft and crumbly, or are the edges of the cracks nice and sharp/hard?

How long after concrete pour was it painted/sealed?

I believe hat it was coated within 48 hours after the concrete was formed.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen spalling similar to that when the mix was too light on portland and way too much water was used during troweling/finishing. Is the concrete near the cracks kind of soft and crumbly, or are the edges of the cracks nice and sharp/hard?

The concrete near the edges is very sharp/hard.

What was the temperature during the day of pour?

March 16 2017 looks like it got down to 27. The damage looks like it could be from freezing during the pour or within 48 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.