Multi-Port Valve Leaking Below Gasket Collar

DaveG3030

Jun 30, 2020
I just replaced the existing Waterway multi-port valve on a Millennium 27" sand filter with the same Waterway MPV. The valve immediately began leaking under the gasket where the threaded sleeve meets the manifold. Thinking it was a 'lemon', I returned it immediately and replaced it with the same Waterway MPV. It worked for about a week, and then began leaking again at the same spot. I have tried everything from the marine lube to the rubber mallet tightening technique. I've backwashed the filter many times with the same results. When I spoke to Waterway, they said the threads on the sand filter manifold may have been damaged. I looked and cannot see any visible damage. Does anyone have a similar situation and a solution? Thank you.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
How does the gasket look? No damage, right? You lubed the gasket?

Some folks have found that turning the flange a quarter turn has helped (no explanation why but worth a try!) Also check to make sure its not the flange itself that has a crack.

Let us know what fixes the issue, ok?

Maddie

DaveG3030

Jun 30, 2020
Hi Maddie,
Thanks for the response. I did lube the gasket and the flange does not appear to have a crack. The only thing that seems a bit odd to me is that gasket looks to be a bit to large. It is the gasket that came with the new valve, so I can't imagine its wrong. I am going to request a new one to see if that works. Otherwise, I am left scratching my head again.
Dave