Motor problems

Sep 1, 2012
I have a Pentair Whisperflo setup on my pool. This past summer the motor has been sounding loud, took propeller apart thinking maybe there was stuff in there but it was clean. Yesterday it wasn't on and noticed it had tripped the breaker so i reset the breaker and when I turned on the pump it just made this loud noise, the shaft spins freely so I decided to replace the capacitor, well still making that loud noise when power turned but got the motor to run but it sounds bad. The motor is 2 years old and should not of gone bad this quick. Do I need a new motor? Thanks in advance!!!!

Loud noises are usually a problem with the bearings. Does it make any noise when you turn it by hand while off?

Also, do the return jets feel normal when the pump is running? Or are they very weak/non-existant?

The flow will be hard to tell when the bearings are going. When the pump is under load and moving water, bearings will start to make noises. Like Jason said, bearings. They are pretty easy to change and not expensive. You can find plenty of videos out there to do them if you want to do yourself.

So I took the motor apart and the larger bearing probably needs to be replaced. But, when I went to remove the impeller it seemed loose and the seal with the spring was messed up. I got new one from the local pool company put it back together along with capacitor I had bought and turned it on, it ran good without much noise. But when I put the impeller back on and reconnected to the pump it was a little noisy. Looks like I will eventually replace the bearings. Thanks for the replys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.