Most effective way to have some peace and quiet

akropp

Dec 2, 2018
Tarrytown/NY
I just put in a pool last summer, and love everything about it except that the pool pump is about 6 feet from the patio where we want to sit and relax. I am looking for the best long term solution to make my poolside experience more enjoyable (with maybe some other benefits).

One solution would be some sort of soundproofing around the pump. Are there any best ideas here on how to do that (diy or purchase)? I have seen everything from cutting appropriate holes in a big plastic bin and putting some soundproofing material inside it to purchasing soundproof boxes/enclosures that run several hundred $$.

If I am contemplating spending money on this, my other thought was: would it be more worth it to spend a little more and replace my 1.25HP fixed speed pump with a VSP? How much quieter can those run? I know I'm spending 600-800 ish, but if it could alleviate my noise problems and save me money on power bills in the long run, it would be a win-win. Question is will the VSP be quiet enough on its own, or will I still need soundproofing?

Finally, if I choose to go with a VSP, do I need to change out the whole pump, or just the motor? I have attached pics of my motor/pump assembly. I have a Jandy AquaLink automation system, so I assume that would be able to control a VSP.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9101.jpg
    IMG_9101.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9102.jpg
    IMG_9102.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9099.jpg
    IMG_9099.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 41
A,

One of the main advantages of a VS pump is that you can run them at a low RPM, which makes them very quite..

As an example.. I can run my 3 HP IntelliFlo at about 1200 RPM and it is so quiet that when the pump was new, I had to touch it to make sure it was still running..

A VS pump run at full RPM is just about a noisy as a single speed pump.

Another option would be to go with a 2-speed pump.. On low speed it is not quite as quiet as a VS pump, but much better than a single speed pump..

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

The pump and VS motor are "married" together to get the flow and efficiency you want. I'm sure you could kluge something together, but it is not something that I would recommend.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’d absolutely recommend a VSP in your case. You only have to run it fast enough to make the skimmers work. Super quiet and use far less electricity to boot. I’ve only had mine for a couple of weeks and I won’t see my utility bill until the first week of June so I don’t know how much less I’m paying a month yet.

Reactions: markayash
In my opinion, builders should not be allowed to install a single speed pump. It's ridiculous. Soon, it will be illegal to use single speed pumps.

Switch to a TriStar VS.

We hang out about 20 ft from my VS pump and nobody has ever heard it. It’s gotten a little noisier with age but even at 10 ft you have to think about it to hear it in the first place.

Reactions: markayash
In my opinion, builders should not be allowed to install a single speed pump. It's ridiculous. Soon, it will be illegal to use single speed pumps.

Switch to a TriStar VS.
I sort of agree. I wish I had done more homework and known to ask for it, but it didn’t even come up as an option. They just said here’s what you need. It doesn’t make sense to skimp on a few hundred $$$ up front — and it’s not like they were saving themselves money. They just passed on the cost of all the components to me directly.

I completely agree with you Akropp.. i have a Pentair whisperflo for the water fall and it is anything but "whisper" quiet.
Knowing what i know now, I would have gone with a variable speed pump. Even for the waterfall.

I do have a Pentair VSF for the pool and its great. As Jimrahbe said, i can hardly hear at the 1500 RPM I run it at.

My SS pump is around the corner. I can hardly hear it at the pool. My home and pool heat pumps are much more of a noise issue. I would not have wanted to be forced to spend more, by law, to get a more expensive VS pump I didn't need or want. Having the choice, having been apprised of the pros and cons, is fine. Limiting my choice, making one of them illegal, isn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a Hayward single speed pump that I just replaced with an Intelliflo. Running at 1600 RPM it is incredibly hard to hear. I could hear the Hayward from 40 feet away.

I would not have wanted to be forced to spend more, by law, to get a more expensive VS pump I didn't need or want.
It's one thing if people are really making deliberate decisions, but that's not the case in 99.9% cases.

The builder just grabs whatever and slaps it on and the homeowner usually just trusts the builder.

Most pumps are wrong for the application.

A regular Whisperflo is a horrible choice for a waterfall, but it's a common thing.

In addition, the energy wasted costs everyone. We have to cut energy costs where we can.

Builders definitely need more education.

Quoted by James W: "Builders definitely need more education."

The only way to change this is a financial incentive of the carrot or the stick. If builders were given $XXX rebate per every VSP they installed, you'd never see a single speed pump again.

It's the whole purpose of building codes or laws that dictate vehicle efficiency.

It forces manufacturers to do the right thing.

It puts everyone on the same level playing field.

Single speed filtration pumps need to be banned and they will be banned soon.

It's one thing if people are really making deliberate decisions, but that's not the case in 99.9% cases.

The builder just grabs whatever and slaps it on and the homeowner usually just trusts the builder.

Most pumps are wrong for the application.

A regular Whisperflo is a horrible choice for a waterfall, but it's a common thing.

In addition, the energy wasted costs everyone. We have to cut energy costs where we can.

Builders definitely need more education.

To me that is a very weak argument. You essentially want to burden the customer for the shortcomings in of the industry.
Also, if the customer simply trusts the builder and doesn't take control of their pool afterwards, unlike folks that are on this forum, if that fancy and expensive VS pump is not set up correctly to run at energy saving speeds, you have no savings.
If a builder is not capable of selecting a proper pump to begin with, who's to say they simply won't leave the customer with a VS pump running on high all the time?

Also, energy costs in a lot of states and other countries don't reflect supply and demand, quite contrary. The costs are directly associated with regulations. Take California, for example, one of the highest energy costs in US why? Because the rate payers are indirectly forced to pay for the "green" energy sources. California is not alone, Ontario Canada, Australia and Germany (those are the ones I've know) behave exactly the same. The more renewables were mandated, the higher the cost of electricity went.

I’m thinking the thread is starting to go off in a wrong direction. Let’s get back to helping the OP find some peace and quiet. Im thinking debates aren’t helping them find a zen moment.

My suggestion to you @akropp.......have kids around whenever you’re not looking to relax. Then kick them out when you’re looking to chill. Promise, soon as they’re gone you won’t notice some pool equipment.

I've got five of them around, but the pump still bugs me. ;)

Agreed the discussion was off topic a bit, but I always enjoy these threads. I am interested in the power savings as well. As far as the builder, I wouldn't want to be forced into the more expensive choice or something done incorrectly, but had I been presented with "you can get the cheap single speed pump for $X or the VSP for $Y which gives you potentially reduced power bills and a quieter pump", I would have said definitely the VSP.

You would definitely be happy with a vsp both from noise and energy savings. Your builder definitely screwed up on not offering you the choice.
I do wonder how much these single speed pumps go for used? If the depreciation is not too bad, it would at least offset the vsp purchase a little.

how far is the pump from the pool?

if your pump is only 6ft from your patio "chill" area, that's not a lot of space for noise dissipation. Either way, a VSP will indeed reduce e-costs and is much, much more quiet than any single or dual speed pump, if the VSP is run on lower RPM's. Many here endorse buying a larger HP VSP and then running your pump at lower more cost-effective speeds. A 3hp vsp run at 1500rpms will cost you less than a 1.5hp run at 1500rpms. You just have to do the math to determine if the initial cash outlay is ok w your pocket-book. Either way, w a 33K gal pool, the 3HP VSP could do you some justice - good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.