More pump-speed and runtime questions

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
This is our second summer with a new pool, and I still have the pump runtime and speeds set up pretty much as the setup company left them. The filter pump runs 12 hours/day, 10-10. The cleaner runs 2 hours, the waterfalls just 15 minutes. I'm attaching a pic of the pump settings from iAqualink.

I know this has been asked before and there are other threads, but I really can't figure out answer to the following:

1. How long should I run my filter pump?
  2. What pump speeds should I use?
I get that it's trial and error, but I don't quite understand what the criteria for success are. How will I know if my pump is not running long enough? How will I know if my pump is running too fast, or too slow, for a given scenario? Is it better to run (for example) at 1500 GPH for 10 hours, or 3000 GPH for 5 hours?

Thanks for any tips!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.08.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.08.20 PM.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 7
So the first reason to run your pump is to either create your chlorine (with a SWCG), or to distribute the liquid chlorine you add each day. As I do not see a SWCG in your signature, you must be adding liquid chlorine every day. So the pump needs to run about an hour after you add the chlorine.

Second reason to run the pump is to skim the surface. The RPM needed for that depends on your pool. I would suggest starting at 1500 rpm and 4-6 hours and see if that keeps the pool clean. Adjust as necessary (rpm and time) to achieve your desires.

Thanks, the is helpful. I've been testing daily, even multiple times per day since your post, and am starting to get a little nervous about how much chlorine I'm using. My CYA is currently about 53; my pool is 14.2K gallons. It's hot here, over 90 daily. My pool is clean and I've never seen algae in it.

Does this seem...normal?

DateNoteAdded (12.5% bleach)
7/18FC at zero88 oz
7/20FC 0.484 oz
7/21FC 2.058 oz
7/21Recheck after 2 hrs, FC 4.425 oz
7/22FC 2.650 oz
7/22Recheck after 2 hours, FC 4.622 oz
7/22Recheck after 2 hours, FC 6.0-
7/23FC 2.076 oz

With a CYA of 60, your minimum FC is 5 and target is 9. You should be raising your FC to 9ppm every day when you add chlorine.

Reactions: Poiks
With a CYA of 60, your minimum FC is 5 and target is 9. You should be raising your FC to 9ppm every day when you add chlorine.
Thanks, makes sense. The app has been recommending a range of 4-8, and at first I was shooting for 6--but I'm going to move my target to 8. I gather you don't find the 400 oz over 5 days alarming?

80 oz of 12.5% is 5.6 ppm FC per day. That is high. Do a OCLT to see if something is starting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.