Momma needs help with slam please please please

Your post earlier showed a pH of 7.4 and TA of 60 ppm. What did you add to raise your pH?

Continue to add 16oz at a time until you can read pH.

I see in your first post you stated this pool will have a SWCG . Using dry acid will destroy the SWCG. Switch to muriatic acid at your earliest chance.
It does already have the swg, dealing with swampy green water with it now. Thank you for the advice about 16 oz at a time, how frequently should it be added and of MA stronger and more effective than the Clorox ph up?
Do big box stores sell muriatic acid or do I need to go to the pool shop? I don’t recall seeing it at (don’t laugh) Walmart.

Again, how did the pH go from 7.4 you reported earlier to so high?

Test pH and TA every time before adding dry acid or muriatic acid.

Muriatic acid is typically available at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.

Again, how did the pH go from 7.4 you reported earlier to so high?

Test pH and TA every time before adding dry acid or muriatic acid.

Muriatic acid is typically available at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.
I was using a cheaper test kit and at the advice of others here- I bought the big expensive Taylor kit. That’s when I realized how high the ph was.

another thing I don’t understand is how the cya disappeared over the winter? Granted the pool is a horrible dark green- but I was under the impression that CYA never dissapears.

In your climate I suspect you lowered the pool level down before winter. Then refilled with snow melt and rain. That lowered the CYA. CYA also degrades at a very low rate.

Good morning! Ok my green pool is now measuring:

PH 7.0
ALK 30 ppm
Zero CYA (did not add any last night)

now what do I do before SLAM?

Have you ever added any CYA to this pool water?

Add 30 ppm TA worth of baking soda.

Please fill out your signature. I cannot remember, volume, type of pool, etc. See Create Your Signature - Further Reading
Thank you, I added the signature but just in case I did it wrong this is what I put in it:

Pool 18x48 Coleman steel frame agp
Intex crystal clear sand filter and swg
The booklet says it’s model ECO20110-2 and ECO15110-2 pool is not level- so total gallons is slightly less than 7,600

I did have cya last season, this season it’s green and alge filled. I measured it and it said zero - added half a gallon of liquid CYA it still reads zero CYA.
I’m adding more water because the backwashing has lowered the volume by 1/2 a foot- so that may throw off my next set of readings. I’ll add the baking soda soon. How long should I wait after adding it to test again?

The liquid stabilizer you added should raise your CYA to 20 or so. Hard to measure that. Add the rest of the gallon of liquid stabilizer. Assume you have a 40 ppm CYA for SLAM FC purposes.

Add the baking soda. I get you need about 3 pounds.
Start your SLAM. FC level of 16 ppm. Use liquid chlorine and test FC every few hours and add more liquid chlorine to get to 16 ppm FC,.

Ok, thank you for the advice. Got the cya to 70
Added 1 jug of Walmart liquid chrlorine.
checked the app/pool math not sure if I am using it correctly- was that 1 gallon chlorine enough to start slam with zero chlorine in the green water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, thank you for the advice. Got the cya to 70
Added 1 jug of Walmart liquid chrlorine.
checked the app/pool math not sure if I am using it correctly- was that 1 gallon chlorine enough to start slam with zero chlorine in the green water?
An hour later this measured fc at 10 and cc at 6

9Pm here- adding another half gallon of Walmart liquid chlorine.

Am I doing this correctly?

I’m so glad you asked that- I wasn’t using the new test kit correctly!!!!!

readings are now
Cya 45
Fc 16
Cc 2

not sure if I’m doing this slam right/ but pool went from dark forest green last night To lighter cloudy green now

A CYA of 45 is rounded up to 50 ppm. Put 50 in Poolmath for your CYA.
The SLAM level FC is 20 ppm. Add liquid chlorine to reach that level. Test FC only in a couple hours and raise the FC back to 20 ppm. Keep that up until the FC no longer drops as quickly and then you can test and add just a few times a day until the pool passes the the three criteria for a successful SLAM.

Is it normal for the pool to have a light white foam while slamming?

Attachments

• 88BDB98C-383B-4111-9BBB-7B0BBA739DDE.jpeg
    88BDB98C-383B-4111-9BBB-7B0BBA739DDE.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.