Mixing Chemicals

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
11,098
Houston, Texas
Always read the lable first!

A little reminder that trichlor and cal-hypo do not play well together.

You can use trichlor and cal-hypo in the same pool, just not at the same time!
 

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
785
Dallas, TX
JasonLion said:
Cal-hypo and any of dichlor, trichlor, dry acid, or cyanuric acid would do it.
Just curious...is it because he poured the mixture into the skimmer that an explosion happened? In other words, is it like gunpowder, if it hadn't been enclosed in a tight space(pipe) it would have just flashed instead of exploded? Scary! :shock:
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,880
Silver Spring, MD
I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.
 

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
785
Dallas, TX
JasonLion said:
I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.
So you're saying if you suddenly dumped mixed powders into the middle of the pool, there would be an explosion?!? Dang, if that's the case I think there should be more prominent warnings in the store and on the packaging.
 

jparr

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2010
65
Beez said:
JasonLion said:
I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.
So you're saying if you suddenly dumped mixed powders into the middle of the pool, there would be an explosion?!? Dang, if that's the case I think there should be more prominent warnings in the store and on the packaging.
The video showed him reenacting the event. He poured them from a bucket directly to the skimmer. Both products (not sure if they were premixed or not) would have ended up trapped in the filter and dissolving rapidly. This accelerated the reaction producing the explosion and back-pressure through the skimmer line.
 

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
785
Dallas, TX
jparr said:
The video showed him reenacting the event. He poured them from a bucket directly to the skimmer. Both products (not sure if they were premixed or not) would have ended up trapped in the filter and dissolving rapidly. This accelerated the reaction producing the explosion and back-pressure through the skimmer line.
That's the scenario I envisioned. That he poured the mixed powders into the skimmer where they reacted within the line and "exploded" because they were enclosed in a tight space.
 

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
785
Dallas, TX
chem geek said:
A video of what happens when you mix Trichlor with Cal-Hypo is shown here. A video of the differing fire potential of Cal-Hypo at different strengths is shown here.
That is just amazing. And scary. No wonder the family is pushing for more effective warning...
 

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
419
Wow - THAT's a powerful video...

Surprised that we don't have the DHS all over us pool guys.

Thanks!

- Jeff
 

Other Threads of Interest