Nazareth, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
I'm curious how much tracking of test results you are all maintaining. I've seen posts on this forum about tracking what you put into your pool over time so that you can help spot trends or at least better understand what you most recently put in the pool when bad things start to happen.

When I first started up my new pool and was using the Aqua Check test strips (don't shoot me...I've since converted to TF-100!!), I was recording my test results in the little book that came with the strips and also recording any chemicals that I added. When I converted over to the TF-100 kit, I've been recording my results in pencil on the chart provided on the cover of the test kit. However, this chart doesn't have anywhere to record any remedial action you've taken, and also will get erased once I hit the end of the chart.

I'm one of those types who likes to keep electronically organized records for things such as this (just ask me about the Excel Workbook I was keeping during the construction of the pool!! LOL). But before I go crazy and create my own Excel spreadsheet or something like that to permanently track my test results and remedies, I was wondering what others were doing and if anyone has any tools they'd be willing to share.

It would be great if the Pool Calculator (or better yet, the iPhone version!) was able to maintain this record (version 2??!!)

Thanks!
Tim

I use a spreadsheet that I made to track the results and how much chems I'm adding. I also track the flow setting on my LQ to spot trends. I use a comment section to record "events" such as when the float valve broke off and I had to drain the LQ and when we get 4 buzzillion inches of rain in a day. :( It even has a sheet that tracks costs as I enter the amounts of chems added.

I'd be glad to share it with anyone that's interested. There are also a few people here that have posted their spreadsheets for others to use.

Here's a spreadsheet I use to track levels and various costs, etc associated with the pool.

Some of the cost tracking stuff is probably a little quirky and hard to follow - but... it wasn't really meant for anyone but me.

To add to the Chlorine Tracker Sheet - insert rows after row 4 and use copy and paste to get all the appropriate equations in there.

Bama, would love to see your sheet.

Attachments

• Pool Spreadsheet.xls
    42 KB · Views: 267
I use a grid that I've taped on top of the cover of the TF100. Pretty similar to what is on the cover but I added some things. I have; DATE, FC, CC, pH, TA,CH, CYA, temp. Then under ADDITIONS; Chlorine(type), volume, FC Goal, MA(volume), pH goal, then a larger space for comments.

Since I switch around in chlorine sources, sometimes bleach, sometimes 10% chlorine, sometimes cal-hypo, sometimes pucks with any of these, I note what sort of chlorine I used (6?%, 10%, CalH, tab). Volume will be C for cup, Q for quart, J for jug. Comments will be anything from how many pucks in the autochlorinator and what that is calculated to add to CYA, what the setting on that is, whether it had rained a lot or I added water, if I added Calcium increaser and how much.

My page has room for 30 entries, so depending on how regular I am on testing it may last 2 months or more in winter. I don't test everything each time, but I can see if it has been awhile since TA for example and if I'd been adding anything that would slowly affect that, I can look back and see that and know to test a bit more often.

Like right now TA is a bit low due to using pucks after working to drive TA down earlier. We had a lot of rain so I have not added as much fill water as normal. Fill water is 340 TA so I figure I'll just wait and let the fill water get TA back up soon enough. I might have forgotten that but it is right here on the lid of the test kit. Calcium was low too so I boosted that up to protect the plaster according to the CSI number on the Pool Calculator.

But I keep this on paper, then move it to a folder so I can find it if needed. I can find things easier in my filing cabinet than in my computer.

Here's my spreadsheet for logging pool data. The last sheet is for costs.

Everything is entered in oz units.

I had to rename it with a .xls extension instead of the .xlsx extension so if you get an error opening it rename it with the .xlsx extension.

Attachments

• Pool Tests Data.xls
    132.4 KB · Views: 217
I track Cl and MA by purchase (quantity and price), not by use. I test every other day for FC, CC and pH so if those go weird, I will know. The other parameters I test weekly and I record the tests and any usage of chems or new H2O to adjust those. CYA and CH I may let go three weeks once I'm sure they are stable. I use a simple Excel sheet for the weekly stuff, but not FC, CC and pH. I don't see the point; it's always the same--subject to weather and usage changes. If I had a bloom I would, but it never happens.

If I need to raise CH or CYA, I'll just switch to pucks or Cal-Hypo for a week or two; it's much cheaper and easier than adding it separately. I keep both on hand.

I love the spreadsheets you've shared here! Awesome!

I'm kind of new at this, but I've attached two of the spreadsheets that I've been playing with lately. Compared to those posted previously...these are just simple! But so far they're working for us.

The one entitled "TF Test Kit" is basically the same one that is pasted to the top of the TF-100 test kit box...but I just prefer reading across rather than down...so I chaged the layout!

Thanks so much for posting your sheets and giving us more ideas! It's all a learning process!

Attachments

• TF Pool - Chlorine and pH Dosage Charts.xls
    20 KB · Views: 116
  • TF Test Kit TF-100.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 147

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for sharing these tools. Any of them would certainly help the serious pool owner!! After Bama Rambler's initial reply mentioning others had posted their spreadsheets in the past, I did a search on the keyword "spreadsheet" and found several posts where others had posted their spreadsheets as well. I definitely have what I need now.....now I just need to decide which one I like the best.

Well I've gone and done what OP stated and gone crazy and developed my own Excel Workbook for tracking test results and cost tracking of supplies even includes graphs if anyone is interested let me know I am willing to share my work

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Articfox918 said:
Well I've gone and done what OP stated and gone crazy and developed my own Excel Workbook for tracking test results and cost tracking of supplies even includes graphs if anyone is interested let me know I am willing to share my work

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
I'm interested!

Articfox918 said:
here ya go. You will have to rename the extension from .xls to .xlsx for it to work
Thanks this is sweet, exactly what i was hoping for! I need to figure out how to use it on my iphone if it can be done....

Except I can't edit it.....nor freeze the top row on Test Results so when i'm down in June I know what goes in what column.... Or duplicate the test page so i can have hot tub and pool in one file...

Shoot sorry I forgot I locked it I usually leave my CPU on when doing things like this but lock my workbooks when I walk away. My kids like to play with my stuff when I turn my back I will post it again but unlocked this time sorry.

try this sorry. You'll have to also rename .xls to .xlsx

*EDIT* I cleaned some stuff up and added a pump run time calculator

Attachments

• PoolTrackerRC1.xls
    327 KB · Views: 98
Articfox918 said:
Shoot sorry I forgot I locked it I usually leave my CPU on when doing things like this but lock my workbooks when I walk away. My kids like to play with my stuff when I turn my back I will post it again but unlocked this time sorry.

try this sorry. You'll have to also rename .xls to .xlsx

It's all good in the time that you changed it I found some macro from 2004 that unlocked it LOL dang computers......

This is nice and comprehensive....I'm going to shorten the date range depicted in the graph, and re-order the columns for recording tests as i've gotten in the habit of testing in the order of the laminated card in the test kit.

Any way to force the graph to graph a midpoint for days that i don't test vs. just not displaying anything....like best fit line or something? I could just enter made up data i guess.....but that requires work! Thanks again!

yeah you can do that too. I usually just add the data from the last test if I dont test, but when you are on the graph left click the data you want to add a best fit to and click add trend line, then choose the method you want to use for trending I havent used it in a while but I thing moving average would probably be best

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.