Metal Magic and general sequestrant questions

Sep 27, 2016
N/A
Several months ago, following a sponge test, I used Metal Magic to help reduce the copper stains in our plaster-surfaced pool. At the time, due to carelessness, I didn't lower the FC to 1 or 2, but kept it at 4. Many stains were removed, but some light stains have returned. I don't think I have been using the right maintenance dose since I have been ultraconservative . The instructions tie the maintenance dose to the copper ppm, but I have never been able to get a copper reading, hence the uncertainty on what maintenance dose to use.

Questions:
1. Is it okay to do a second stain-removing dose, this time with the FC lower?
2. What would be the potential side effects?
3. I've read that one can use too much sequestrant. What does that mean? Is that in reference to the phosphate breakdown products that can promote algae or might too much sequestrant somehow damage the pool's surface? The latter is a particular concern since the plaster is not in great shape and is very old.
4. Any hints on what maintenance dose to use when no copper is ever detected in the water?

Thanks.

We definitely have copper stains and we have copper plumbing. The stains are light green, dark green and turquoise.

The Metal Magic stain treatment helped considerably except for the copper stains that had oxidized too greatly. We even got some turquoise captured in a Culater packet.

But I need a better handle on how much Metal Magic we can continue to use on the pool. I keep reading here that one can have "too much" sequestrant, but I haven't seen an explanation of what that means.

Last edited:
I wish I could help on the dosage or understand why you can overdose but I do not.

Since the copper is coming from your plumbing you must stop it with pH control.....has that been done?

I wish I could help on the dosage or understand why you can overdose but I do not.

Since the copper is coming from your plumbing you must stop it with pH control.....has that been done?

Yes. We're keeping the pH between 7.2 and 7.8. Most of the time it's between 7.4 and 7.6. The reason we have copper staining is because the pH used to be lower, which caused a corroded pipe. That pipe was replaced with a PVC pipe, but we still have another copper pipe.

You can have too much sequestrant, but it takes a lot to show any signs. Usually the first sign of overdosing is cloudiness. Even if you overdose, just wait a while to add any more and it'll come down.

I have to use about 3 times the recommended dosage to get our water to begin clearing up.

SwampWoman is the sequestering queen around here. You may shoot her a PM and see if she has any experience with copper.

You can have too much sequestrant, but it takes a lot to show any signs. Usually the first sign of overdosing is cloudiness. Even if you overdose, just wait a while to add any more and it'll come down.

I wouldn't be concerned about a temporary overdose. It's a long-term overdose I'm concerned about. I'd like assurances that if I routinely add "too much" (given that I don't know how much I should be adding) that I'm not hurting the pool down the line. By hurting the pool, I mean damaging the surface or promoting excessive algae growth.

I have to use about 3 times the recommended dosage to get our water to begin clearing up.

Interesting.

BTW, do you always lower the FC to 1 or 2 for the maintenance dose? I've never been entirely clear if the 1-2 FC was for the initial dose only or for the maintenance dose as well. (I'm speaking of Metal Magic here. Other sequestrants may have different instructions.)

SwampWoman is the sequestering queen around here. You may shoot her a PM and see if she has any experience with copper.

Will do, thanks.

Most sequestrants are HEDP based. Over time the sequestrant breaks down from chlorine exposure into phosphates (it does this no matter what) and that's why you need maintenance dosing. With extended use of HEDP, phosphates will build up in the water. High PO4 levels make it quicker and easier for algae to form if the FC goes below minimum recommended levels. So, with extensive use of sequestrants, you must be mindful to keep your FC/CYA ratio properly maintained as high phosphate water is more reactive to algae than low phosphate water.

Other than that, sequestrant use at the doses recommended are not harmful to swimmers health.

Good Morning, Mark. I just saw your pm now as I have a wild few guests in this weekend fom out of town ;) My TFP attention will be dramatically reduced for a few days as a result ;)

Regardless, Joyful has nailed it.

As far as what to do about it -- Im still forming my opinions about the best balance/management scenario as a sequestrant user over the long term. I spent quite a bit of energy last year trying to work this out and have a few ideas but have not yet implemented them, nor have I needed to.

By way of background, I was able to keep my pool crystal clear and algae-free with TFP despite excessively high phosphates from several years of heavy useage. We're talking at one point as high as 51,000 ppb (whereas pool store say you have too much at 1,000.)

With that said, techs at both Jacks and MM have told me during related conversations that its best to keep calcium above 200 (I'm vinyl) to help carry out spent phosphates, fwiw. Since you're plaster, I'm sure you're already doing this. Neither company has to date issued any guidelines about spent HEDP, and my conversations with both last year suggested an ncl inaction to minimize this aspect. Companies who produce non-HEDP sequestrants (which frankly don't work as reliably) by contrast cite this as a reason to use their products. But EDTA causes a whole other slew of issue and consume a lot of FC to boot.

The only reason Id looked into this phenom rather extensively last year was that I was switching to SWG and manufacturers such as Pentair will not warranty their cells above very small amounts of PO4 because there is emerging evidence that in a certain set of conditions there can be phosphate scaling. (Very high phosphates plus heat plus super high ph inside cell.) Phosphate scale is getting more research attention right now in the HVAC industry and in mfg boiler settings because sequestering is essential.

My swg is a year old and produces exactly the FC I expect it to at this point. Hayward does not have a warranty disclaimer about phosphates - for them to warrant a cell, you take it to a test center.

So in the shorter term, with fresh fill from a liner change, I've not experienced any problem at all.

The problems in attempting to manage spent phosphates is two-fold...the first is that there's nothing in the pool industry the can accurately read the knd of levels I was at.

I solved that problem by purchasing a Hanna hi po4 tester. When I was up around 50,000 ppb I still had to dilute with distilled water.

The second problem is that at super high levels, phosphate remover products will cause a lot of floccing and not always produce the results you'd expect.

I was reluctant to use a remover throughout the year because I was running inside a winter dome and was reluctant to do anything where I'd have to backwash in freezing temps. I may change that strategy next year when the dome goes back up after I tinker a bit.

BUT if one wanted to keep the level of spent phosphates down to avoid the high kind of buildup that over years "might" cause scaling on equipment, this is the rare case where a weekly addition of lanatham chloride, which is Seaclear's phosphate remover, would be a good strategy. When pool stores say this, its baloney about algae. But there can be strategic value in this approach for heavy sequestrant users. Matt (Joyful) is doing an experiment now with this at low levels.)

In my case, my plan as been to do an Alum floc experiment after summer season winds down and I can stand to have the pool out of commission for a day or two before putting up the winter dome. Alum, if it works, will drop both po4 AND metal, and is then vacuumed to waste. Its cheaper and the metal reduction would be an added benefit. But its also very finickity as a treatment and desnt always work right.

To summarize this long and wandering post, here are what I view to be your options, in order of preference ;)

1. Use as much MM as you need to keep the pool looking the way you want it. Don't worry about possible po4 scaling until something goes wrong since I truly believe its rare. But remember that with copper pipes, you ultimately will need do do things to reduce the concentration over time...whch you've already started. One of those things might be a partial water change in another season or two.

Or
2. Get a meter, and if needed, make a plan to manage po4 with weekly or monthly additions of Seaclear (commercial grade) phosphate remover.

Or 3. Consider doing an annual or seasonal treatment via Alum floc, which might reduce your copper ppm as well.

Since at the moment I'm in the #1 camp, I'm not a great source of advice for cost/benefit/perceived value. But after this fall, I might be in a better position to discuss ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With that said, techs at both Jacks and MM have told me during related conversations that its best to keep calcium above 200 (I'm vinyl) to help carry out spent phosphates, fwiw. Since you're plaster, I'm sure you're already doing this.

CH is about 700 (yeah, high).

So you're saying that the HEDP breakdown products actually leave the pool via calcium? Put another way, the spent phosphates are not accumulating in the pool but are actually exiting the system via the filter?

Neither company has to date issued any guidelines about spent HEDP, and my conversations with both last year suggested an ncl inaction to minimize this aspect.

ncl inaction??? What is that?

The only reason Id looked into this phenom rather extensively last year was that I was switching to SWG and manufacturers such as Pentair will not warranty their cells above very small amounts of PO4 because there is emerging evidence that in a certain set of conditions there can be phosphate scaling. (Very high phosphates plus heat plus super high ph inside cell.)

Is phosphate scaling (whatever that is) something I need to worry about in a non-SWG pool?

I solved that problem by purchasing a Hanna hi po4 tester. When I was up around 50,000 ppb I still had to dilute with distilled water.

I just quickly looked up Hanna hi po4 tester and it's only around $50. If you're using it, I'm guessing it is actually pretty accurate?

BUT if one wanted to keep the level of spent phosphates down to avoid the high kind of buildup that over years "might" cause scaling on equipment, this is the rare case where a weekly addition of lanatham chloride, which is Seaclear's phosphate remover, would be a good strategy.

I guess I'm at the point where I need to know exactly what phosphate scaling is. Could you explain that a bit further?

Since this is already a lot to absorb, I'm a little reluctant to bring up something else, but I will...

CYA is 60 which means a minimum of 5 FC, and target of 7-9. I've been reluctant to raise FC above 5 because the copper stains, particularly the heavily oxidized ones, look darker at the higher FC levels. Also, I got oxidized copper stains in the first place due to an uninformed effort at shocking the pool before I knew about sequestrants and before I knew that chlorine oxidizes copper stains, making them darker.

SO, some remaining questions:

1. At what FC level do I have to worry about oxidizing the copper spots even more? If I keep FC below 9, will I prevent future oxidation of copper stains from chlorine?

2. Does sequestrant work effectively when FC levels are 5-9? Or should I be lowering the FC each month to 1-2 before adding the monthly maintenance dose of Metal Magic. And only upping the FC after a day or two.

3. I need confirmation that at pH's in the 7's, specifically 7.2 - 7.8, I don't need to worry about further corrosion of the copper piping. I understand corrosion is mainly a result of low pH, but I can't help thinking that a high FC when dealing with already partially corroded pipes might contribute to their further deterioration.

Thanks. :)

ncl inaction??? What is that
IPad error - "inclination"

- The techs believe having higher ch helps carry out spent phosphate. I cannot confirm or deny this. they felt my po4 levels had risen so high because my ch is low (I use softened water) at approx 150 ppm.

- No, I would not worry about phosphate scaling in a non-swg pool. Heaters would theoretically be a concern, but if you're controlling ph its unlikely to be a problem and I've come to feel even if I occurs that those who need to sequester still need to sequester ;)

The reason phosphate scale is even an "issue" is because it is reportedly difficult to remove. For swg that can mean the plates become non-functional. For heaters it would reduce efficiency.

Your questions:

1. Your Mileage May Vary...but I've found high FC not to exacerbate stains if the ph is kept lower, eg 7.2-7.4. The issue for a person with a heavily sequestered pool is that its even more mportant to stay above recc FC levels because high po4 makes a pool a bit more reactive for algae...a bit less forgiving on lapses. This reactivity is the only reason one would normally bother about accumulated po4 to begin with, but is easily overcome by Maintaing TFP FC/CYA spec.

2. Higher FC breaks sequestrant down faster. After startup dose for season, I did not lower FC to treat. Sequestrant seemed to last fine, but I have no means to compare. This would be contrary to mfg suggestion. But if I have faint staining on stairs (iron) and normal TFP FC level and add MM, stain is gone and stays gone on maintenance schedule. Which leads me to believe TFP recc levels do not interfere with efficacy. Slamming is another story ;)

3. Where is the copper in your system? I'm not entirely certain you can prevent copper leaching from an of pipe that's already leached, though keeping water above 7.0 would certainly dramatically improve the leach rate. My copper pipes are on fill line and I cannot generally get below .2 ppm-ish. But at that level, it does not stain.

With your CYA at 60 and FC at 9, your ACTUAL chlorine rate isn't much different than city water, which does not have cya. So I don't believe you need to worry about your FC level impact on the copper at regular maintenance levels. I will dig around a bit later to check my assumption on that.

The reason phosphate scale is even an "issue" is because it is reportedly difficult to remove. For swg that can mean the plates become non-functional. For heaters it would reduce efficiency.

We have a heater but don't use it, so I guess that -- along with a non-SWG system -- means no need to worry about phosphate scale.

3. Where is the copper in your system? I'm not entirely certain you can prevent copper leaching from an of pipe that's already leached, though keeping water above 7.0 would certainly dramatically improve the leach rate. My copper pipes are on fill line and I cannot generally get below .2 ppm-ish. But at that level, it does not stain.

* Copper return pipe - now replaced with PVC. It presumably was the source of most of the staining
* Copper suction pipe - have not replaced but presume it has corroded, though isn't leaking yet.
* Heater - we don't use the heater and I'm unclear whether it is a contributor to copper (the heater was hooked up before I was involved with the pool.)

As alluded to earlier, despite LOTS of copper staining, I've never been able to obtain a copper measurement. That's why I have been uncertain how much Metal Magic to use. But after your input, I'm going to increase both the sequestrant and the chlorine. I mentioned before that I thought the stains looked darker at higher FC levels, but it may just be that the water is clearer and so the stains are more visible. ;)

I realize I had a remaining question to ask...

I read here somewhere that each dose of chlorine raises the pH a little and when the chlorine is spent, it returns to the original pH.

That got me to thinking...

When I use Metal Magic, the pH lowers to 7.4 and remains at 7.4. At some point, it goes up, but it mostly stays at 7.4. I've heard that MM is slightly acidic.

Can one reasonably conclude that in an alkaline pooll (7.5 or greater) each dose of Metal Magic reduces the pH to 7.4? And when the pH goes up again, its time to replenish the Metal Magic? If pH could be used as an indicator of when more sequestrant is needed, that would be eaiser than trying to catch re-staining in the early stages.

A more direct way of asking this question is: Are HEDP breakdown products alkaline?

Can one reasonably conclude that in an alkaline pooll (7.5 or greater) each dose of Metal Magic reduces the pH to 7.4? And when the pH goes up again, its time to replenish the Metal Magic? If pH could be used as an indicator of when more sequestrant is needed, that would be eaiser than trying to catch re-staining in the early stages.

A more direct way of asking this question is: Are HEDP breakdown products alkaline?

No. The pH change on addition of MM is going to depend on TA and other factors. pH change is not a very good indicator as many other factors can change pH.

There are phosphonate test kits sold by Taylor. They are a bit pricey but, if you really want to accurately know and manage your phosphonate levels, then that would be the way to do it as it is an exact titration test. For scale and stain control you typically want an HEDP concentration in the range of 5-15ppm with 10ppm being the optimal value for most pools.

No. The pH change on addition of MM is going to depend on TA and other factors. pH change is not a very good indicator as many other factors can change pH.

There are phosphonate test kits sold by Taylor. They are a bit pricey but, if you really want to accurately know and manage your phosphonate levels, then that would be the way to do it as it is an exact titration test. For scale and stain control you typically want an HEDP concentration in the range of 5-15ppm with 10ppm being the optimal value for most pools.

Thanks. Good to know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.