Metal in pool

gasman1223

Jun 24, 2020
Rhode Island
Hello I have a well and there is metals in it about 4 weeks ago I put in 4 inches well water in my pool. Pool is about 14,000 gallons. I put metal out 3 different times and 1 pouch culator each time it pulls the metal out then it comes back. I know it reacts to the chlorine.This week Sunday night I put in the regular amount of chlorine Pool stayed blue. Monday night regular amount of chlorine pool stayed blue.Tuesday night regular amount of chlorine pool stayed blue. This morning Wednesday pool blue.turned on pump 3 hours later green. I can see rusty metal where my skimmer attaches to the wall of the pool. Do you think my problem is coming from the wall of the pool where it is rusty.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Once iron is in the water, you either have to filter it out or replace water. Sequestrant only keep the iron in water solution. You might try the process listed in the link below. It worked well for them.

GasMan! love the name... When you use a sequestrant it ties the metal up chemically, but it doesn't "remove it" from the water. Eventually the sequestrant will break down and releases the metal back into the water. As Splash explained the only way to get rid of it is by filtering it out or with a water exchange. If you are filling your pool with well water from evaporation, then you are just always adding metals to the pool. Its a fact of life with a well.

Your description sounds like pretty classic Iron.. we look forward to your pics.

ALSO! Welcome to the forum. it would be great if you could fill out your signature so we know what kind of equipment you have, it may have a bearing in what the forum guys recommend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. No doubt you have an elevated iron level based on what you've filter so far. I would be surprised if the skimmer alone is responsible for the entire pool's elevated iron level, but it's certainly not helping. Have you checked you annual water report for iron levels? I would try to replace that skimmer piece and continue with the filtering. Each week is positive progress. :goodjob:

Can the rust at the skimmer change the water green when I put in Chlorine
Is there something rusting on the skimmer or is that metal staining? You can remove it with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) if its just a stain. Your rag looks like you have a LOT of iron. And if your pool is alternating creme de menthe green on the fly with chlorine you are seeing the effect of the iron coming out of solution. pretty wild huh?

I am dealing with an iron issue right now myself from tainted pool salt, and I'm using polyfill for the filter. I have the guts of 10,000 stuffed animals (thanks to my dogs) in the skimmer basket . so far its filtering it out, but I'll be interested to see how long it takes.

BTW can you fill in your signature so we can see at a glance what kind of pool and equipment you have. Make sure you include that you are on a well water. thx

Hello to all my pool has been blue for some time now. I have treated it with 4 different products to get the metal out. I still have 0.30 ppm in the pool can not get it out. So the way I keep my pool blue is keep my pool water at the bottom of the ok level on the chlorine. So I only put the daily dose every day. I can’t shock it once a week. The reason I am posting this is because I found out where the metal is coming from. In the summer my neighbor does fireworks 2 times a month and they are the big kind.
The beginning of the month he was lighting them off the next morning I had a lot off debris in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.