Mesh Pool Cover Questions

Jun 7, 2016
SE PA
We are looking to purchase our first pool cover. We have an inground plaster pool, 19x44. Because of the pool's size we are leaning towards a mesh cover. We have it professionally opened and closed each year in early May and October. We are located in SE Pennsylvania so we are prone to freeze/thaw cycles and occasional heavy snows. All that said, I have two questions:
1) we are planning to have our pool renovated in a few years--perhaps two years, with new coping and maybe Ecofinish or just replastered. Right now we have the old fashioned coping with the lip and I would like to switch to a flat, flush coping. Can the cover be adjusted for this? I attached a pic of our coping shape--I think ours is a little more dramatic lip.

2) Our pool has tile around the edge. Right now we use a heavy plastic tarp with weights and drain to the first step (approx six inches below the skimmer). We are leaning towards the mesh cover because my husband hates battling with the cover pump every PA winter. Besides having to clear heavy snowfall off the cover, do you need to monitor water levels during the winter? It seems some people with mesh covers monitor their waters and pump water out to keep it below skimmers/tile level while others just let it go.

Attachments

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
To answer the first question, renovating the pool will still have it at the same dimensions therfore this cover will work as long as the pool deck is remaining or even if pool deck is replaced then you'd need new anchors put into new deck .
For your second question, mesh covers are good and one needs to take advantage of a January thaw to pump out water that has risen up to that point making more room for the next couple of months rain and snow keeping it below the tile line if at all possible.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Jun 7, 2016
SE PA
To answer the first question, renovating the pool will still have it at the same dimensions therefore this cover will work as long as the pool deck is remaining or even if pool deck is replaced then you'd need new anchors put into new deck .
For your second question, mesh covers are good and one needs to take advantage of a January thaw to pump out water that has risen up to that point making more room for the next couple of months rain and snow keeping it below the tile line if at all possible.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply. We have a concrete deck surrounding that will be staying (hopefully!), we would just be replacing the coping around the pool as it original from when pool was built (1980s, we suspect) and is in bad shape. I would like to switch to a flat coping but we have not even gotten quotes yet so that may not even be a possibility.

That's good to know. It isn't a problem for us to go out when we get a warm spell and unhook the cover by our steps and pump the water out down to our first step. That is about four inches below our skimmers and where we take it for closing. That seems like a fair trade off with the constant battle with the pump all winter, which as my husband says, always breaks at the worst possible time.

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
One thing I need to make you aware of is I've seen this scenario on more then one occasion that is , when a pool is higher then the surrounding ground say a hill on one side and just picture it now. You have a pump in the pool say the floor of the shallow and then have a long enough hose that terminates at ground level which is lower then the shallow floor. So you run the pump say an hour and then just simply unplug it to stop the pump figuring you'll get back to it in a few hours or even the next day to close things back up. Well guess what you find when you look into the pool to check the water level. The water is pumpd out to the floor level regardless if you unplugged it because it continues to drain via siphoning effect till it gets air and runs out of water.
If you have this same scenario make sure the hose goes over a fence and then down this way it can't siphon when unplugged.

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Also no need to remove heavy snowfall from the cover. Nature always removes it. Unless you need to get rid of some snow during a warm spell to open a corner and insert the pump, if water is not frozen.