High Point, N.C.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Tired of tarp covers and water bags...considering mesh safety cover purchase.

Those of you with mesh covers, when you close your pool do you use a pool closing kit (chemicals) in the water before putting on your cover for the winter? I have used them with solid tarp covers and it has helped keep the water clear. But with a mesh cover I'm not sure. However, if we have one of those NC winters with multiple 70 degree days, the chances of growing algae increases.

In the off-season for a closed pool, using a proper algaecide (the one shown above is a proper one - or one with the same active ingredient) provides some insurance against algae growth. Mainly if the water is a bit warmer at close or warmer before opening than it should be (60 or less). Otherwise, most of us raise FC to SLAM level, perhaps add algaecide (I don't) and then close late and open early. I will be opening by April 15th this year, the same as previous years and have not had anything but a clear opening for 5 years. I close in late October, with a premium mesh cover. Also important, I also pump water out usually twice during the winter to keep the water below the tile line, but not more than 16" below the top of the coping (max water level drop per my cover manual). If you let the water rise, and it comes into contact with a not correctly tight cover (like my neighbor), then in the spring when the warm sun heats the cover, it also heats the top 1" of water, specifically that which is touching/on the cover, to well over 60 degrees, thus forming a great breeding ground for algae. I also know he closes earlier and opens later than me. I can confirm he opens to a green pool EVERY year. We've discussed it once (when he commented about my clear pool every spring), but he isn't inclined to do the work himself and let's his pool guy do his thing, so the pool guy just creates a little extra income to clean up the green pool in the spring - very convenient. But it works for him since he also isn't really able to do much physically, so it's not all bad.

I'll check the water temperature this weekend to make sure April 15th will still keep me below 60 degrees. I suspect it will as it hasn't been continuously warm this spring.

Reactions: Pharmacyman
Great help folks!! I have some more questions for MESH SAFETY cover users:

1. Do you recommend DIY install or should I hire a professional?
2. How difficult is cover removal/cover application? Do you do this yourself? Is it really heavy?
3. I have a concrete deck except for steps area (see picture) where the deck is wood. Is this going to be a problem? I am especially concerned about those sharp corners on the wood deck as they have played havoc on the tarp covers in the past.

Attachments

• 20190329_165312.jpg
    20190329_165312.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 15
Great help folks!! I have some more questions for MESH SAFETY cover users:

1. Do you recommend DIY install or should I hire a professional?
2. How difficult is cover removal/cover application? Do you do this yourself? Is it really heavy?
3. I have a concrete deck except for steps area (see picture) where the deck is wood. Is this going to be a problem? I am especially concerned about those sharp corners on the wood deck as they have played havoc on the tarp covers in the past.

Mesh covers like looplock are very expensive. Mine was $3500. I take it off an put it on myself. I can lift it on my own. 2 people would make it simple. For your shape they would come out and custom measure and probably include installation in the purchase price. Installation involves drilling deck anchors.

It’s not rocket science to install. Measure appropriately, drill holes, drop in anchors, get straps adjusted correctly, etc. But I was happy to have it installed.

I move mine with a hand truck back and forth to the house. It’s not that close. Annual install/removal is pretty easy.

Your wooden deck is asking to be revitalized/replaced. But as far as anchors go in the wood - no problem. They have anchors for wood decks as well. But the wood edge is a problem as is. I’d personally replace the boards and use a router to create nice rounded edges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.