Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
"Hello,
I’m in the planning stages for an inground pool with a SWG. Should I order steel or polymer pool panels?

Are the polymer panels a necessity for a saltwater pool? Would they last longer than the steel panels?

Thanks Joe"

@jimmythegreek this is up your alley and in your neighborhood.

(answer from @jimmythegreek)
"We quit using steel walls years ago. Steel will rust that is a given. Polymer won't rust. I wouldn't put a steel wall up and know that I am going to use salt chlorination.

steel walls are easier and faster for a DIYer as they are true and straight. if you have any groundwater issues you are better off with composite walls. depends on the kit brand some are really true and straight and others need some fudge work. Steel wall pools last decades in normal use, and with maintenence and no leaks will not eat up the steel any faster than a saltwater pool. after a few years of chlorine use your average pool has the same salt content as a saltwater pool anyways"

(question by OP)
"Hello,
Should the return and supply lines be buried in the cement collar around the pool or should they be plumbed on top of the collar?. I guess one of the benefits of submerging the plumbing in cement is it might prevent a leak. Not 100% sure on that one.

Thanks,
Joe"

What kind of pool?
In ground, free form, vinyl.

Last edited by a moderator:
You never want to bury pipe in the collar. Cement doesnt protect anything. A properly plumbed pool and a properly compacted base around it wont move at all. Leaks are installed error. Either pipe wasnt fitted and glued properly or the ground moved and put pressure on a fitting or pipe section. Now flex pipe is a different story as termites will eat at it and I dont feel it's as strong. I dont ever use it I even heatbend if I have to as to avoid it for drains.

Wall panel debate is like Chevy vs ford. They both have their plus and minus. Today's designs with liner over steps and tanning ledges require the use of metal to create them. PBs do mix poly and steel but I stick to metal on those types of installs. In groundwater areas poly is the way to go. Therea a difference in brands, not all poly is created equal

Reactions: Aquaman7
You never want to bury pipe in the collar. Cement doesnt protect anything. A properly plumbed pool and a properly compacted base around it wont move at all. Leaks are installed error. Either pipe wasnt fitted and glued properly or the ground moved and put pressure on a fitting or pipe section. Now flex pipe is a different story as termites will eat at it and I dont feel it's as strong. I dont ever use it I even heatbend if I have to as to avoid it for drains.

Wall panel debate is like Chevy vs ford. They both have their plus and minus. Today's designs with liner over steps and tanning ledges require the use of metal to create them. PBs do mix poly and steel but I stick to metal on those types of installs. In groundwater areas poly is the way to go. Therea a difference in brands, not all poly is created equal

Good info. Thanks Jimmy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.