Measuring bleach...and testing

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
Ok I have a simple and probably a stupid question. How does everyone measure the amount of liquid bleach you are putting in the pool? If I put in 1 jug....that's easily measurable, however If I am doing an OCLT and SLAM....I need to measure after the sun goes down and figure out how much to bring up to shock level....say its 82 oz.....does everyone just guesstimate 2/3 of a 121oz jug? Is there a clear measuring jug I can purchase? Should I check the FC level again to see what it is after I add the bleach or just go with my estimate? What if I add too much and think my pool is clear of algae? or too little and think I have an algae problem. With the accurate tests that state I can't lose more than 1ppm for the OCLT I feel that I should be adding more exact amounts of bleach. I don't mind the testing but this seems like I am doing something wrong having to test so many times. Thanks in advance for your replies. Still trying to get the hang of this whole pool thing, even though I have owned it for 5 years.

Measuring by estimate, for example judging 3/4 of a jug by eye, is usually sufficient. You don't need to have it exact. Some people like to use a plastic two quart measuring cup (i.e. a fairly large one), but doing so isn't essential.

Since you measure and then adjust, any small error in the amount you add will show up in the measurement on the next cycle and be corrected for.

I just cut an old bleach jug in half, flipped it upside down (cap on the bottom) and measured 32 oz of water into it. Then marked the line. Now I can easily measure 32 oz of bleach. since I'm putting in about 64 oz of 8.25% every other day, it makes it easier than messing with cups..

I'm so guilty on guesstimates when it comes to bleach additions. :mrgreen:

I'm a slob when it comes to dosing. My brother even heckled me about it. He watched me run the whole battery of tests using the speedstir, being super-accurate, and then I just dumped half a gallon of bleach in by eyeball. He doesn;t understand that the target is not as important as the now.

...Annnnd...I represent the other end of the spectrum with my 2 quart measuring cup. ;)

At the end of the day, if you have a process that works well for you, stick with it!

I'd say it works pretty well for me. :mrgreen: (shameless photo plugging about to go down in 3.... 2..... 1.......) I warned you! :D

I'm a slob when it comes to dosing. My brother even heckled me about it. He watched me run the whole battery of tests using the speedstir, being super-accurate, and then I just dumped half a gallon of bleach in by eyeball. He doesn;t understand that the target is not as important as the now.

I'm right there with ya Richard! :lol:

...Annnnd...I represent the other end of the spectrum with my 2 quart measuring cup. ;)

At the end of the day, if you have a process that works well for you, stick with it!

It's ok Bo, I'm right there with you. I want to nail it down to a Cat's whisker and see what happens. Part of it is my pool being new and me wanting to know it well, but I like seeing how close I can get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see a two part question.

Dosing is a general measure at my pool, done with a tumbler that is hand scribed with marks. If testing indicates the pony needs 20 ounces of bleach, its poured to something north of 20, might be 24, might be 21.

Measuring for an OCLT would be done by testing, dosing to just north of the requirement, then testing again in 30 minutes for the start point for the test. That is the only accuracy I would shoot for - the test starting point, not the amount it took to get there.

I use a big quart sized plastic ice/water drinking pitcher that patients in the hospital are provided. The ounces and mL are all marked and its very handy with a big easy to grip handle and convenient (i.e. free!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.