Max FC level and CYA boost?

Switched

Dec 25, 2019
Adelaide
Hi All,
I’m still adjusting my SWG to achieve my target FC value of around 6 and have it maintained. This is as per the pool math recommendation. On another blog I read that FC at 5 is roughly max level to swim in? I am a little confused here as to what I can safely swim in. Currently I am at FC of 7, and plan on adding CYA to around 70-80.
also secondly it’s coming to close of pool season now, should I get my CYAhigher or wait untilStart of next season later this year? I just took ownership of the pool after recent home purchase.

We use the FC/CYA Levels to determine proper levels of FC. Any FC level up to the SLAM FC level for your CYA is safe to swim.

The “other blog” comment “that FC at 5 is roughly max level to swim in” is based on having 0 CYA.

What is your current CYA level? Post a complete set of test results.

thank you for the reply!
Here is my test results. Note my PH is 7.6 I think!

==========================================
HomePool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 69000 liters
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 7.0 (11 hours ago)
CC: 0.5 (7 days ago)
pH: 7.8 (11 days ago)
TA: 80 (11 days ago)
CH: 250 (11 days ago)
CYA: 30 (11 days ago)
SALT: 4800 (7 days ago)
==========================================

So far I’ve added around 4kg of calcium (but yet to take a new reading), lowered the FC from 10 to 7, and lowered ph to 7.6. I was hoping to make use this weekend of the pool as we have some kids coming over, suggestions? Do I add CYA in the next couple of days to try and get to 80?

With CYA 30 you are safe to swim up to FC of 12. Your FC of 7 is fine.

When do you plan to close your pool? No reason to add CYA if you plan to close your pool in the next few weeks.

Turn on Track CSI in PoolMath and log your water temperature and watch your CSI. CIS is important to a tile pool just like a palster pool. All of your grout is plaster.

Thank you. Let’s say I’m only an owner for 3 weeks so reading a lot. Currently it’s two weeks out from end of summer so I don’t actually know when we can actually stop swimming. We have a solar but the
Valves were shut when I moved in. Had a pool guy come around and he opened the valve but there was no hot water returning (although Thad a dust cloud enter the pool)
. This was on a 30 degree Celsius day. Still need to troubleshoot that one!

Post pics of your pool equipment and valves and solar controls and we can see how we can help you with that.

Thank you! Ok here is some pics of the old pump house. Excuse the mess - I have been cleaning it out. After about 5 inches of leaf debris I found a concrete slab! I’ve filled up my waste bin so need to wait until next week to clean further. There are temporary labels on there that my pool guy could determine. It’s an old pool and some old pvc there too. Also there is a gas heater,

Attachments

• 072CFBA3-2BEE-4C6D-AC98-0BC636734EAA.jpeg
    072CFBA3-2BEE-4C6D-AC98-0BC636734EAA.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 25
  • 1C4C045B-6FF8-4CAF-8B4D-D96E81726496.jpeg
    1C4C045B-6FF8-4CAF-8B4D-D96E81726496.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 26
I don't htink any of us can help you without having enough pics to understand your water flow from suction into the pump through your equipment and out to the returns. You have labels on some pipes that we need to be able to read.

Right now all I know is you have a jumble of pipes going into a wall.

Thanks awk22. Let me get some better pics on the weekend. I put some non temporary labels on last night. I also want to continue to clean up the pump house as well.
so pics of the pool,spa, solar setup, and pipe work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so pics of the pool,spa, solar setup, and pipe work?

We need to be able to stitch together the pictures in our mind and connect where the pipes go from and to and understand the entire water flow. Seeing pipes that disappear into the unknown is not helpful.

Thank you - I appreciate the offer for help! I'll get these as soon as I possibly can and once I have the pool cover off also. Thanks AJW22. Everyday I have been testing the FC to better understand the effect of percentage of SWG chlorine generation and taking notes on the impact. Today I had the SWG set for 10%, and noted that my FC dropped from 8 to 7 with pool cover on. Note though - I do need a new pool cover as the existing one has some holes in it...

With regards to maintaining the pool over winter, I assume there is still a requirement to maintain the FC/CYA levels?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.