Max Distance IntelliPH can be from pad?

Alset2

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Cent Fl
I have read and read but do you all think that the 15 foot chem tube is the limiting factor ? could I extend it ?

I ask becasue I have order one and was planning on putting the unit at one of these 2 locations and then just venting the hose down this galvie fence (about 8 feet from pad) .
But the more a read the more I worry about fumes corroding things.
towards the bottom left corner begins a car port that houses my boat and I dont want fumes to ruin anything with that either .

Does anyone have any idea of the "radius" needed from the fumes before it looses its corrosive concentration?

Any input would be helpful

Thanks

I edited and added an over all pic for more info

Attachments

• Inkedoverhead pool equip _LI.jpg
    Inkedoverhead pool equip _LI.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 08-19-19 -half full of water -DJI_0303-crpd.jpg
    08-19-19 -half full of water -DJI_0303-crpd.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 21
I can tell you what I did. My iPh is right on my pad, inches from my heater. Unlike some of the other acid tank solutions mentioned on this forum, that utilize whatever acid-holding containers users come up with, the iPh sports a lid that is very similar to the one you find on a pool pump's debris basket: quarter turn to remove/replace, with an o-ring to seal it tight. The only other exit for fumes is a small connector, onto which you connect the vent tube (hose) you're referring to. I have a vinyl fence right next to my pad, so my vent tube runs under the fence and vents on the other side. That set up has been in place for over a year, and so far there is some evidence of corrosion, but it's hard to say if some of that corrosion was already there, or would have occurred without the iPh present, or happened when I spilled acid a few times while filling the tank (I'm better at it now, but spillage has occurred).

I've attached some images I took just now, you can judge for yourself. The rust on the gas pipe was there before I owned an iPh (I don't think it has progressed significantly), which leads me to believe that this particular location is somewhat prone to corrosion with or without an iPh. The corrosion on the iPh itself, its hold-down screws and that conduit might be from fumes, or it might be from spillage. The corrosion on the filter band and furnace bolts may or may not have already been there, or have occurred without the iPh. The hinge, which is only about a foot away from the exit of the vent tube, isn't really showing any corrosion at all, and the gas meter, also about a foot away, isn't either.

Nothing really conclusive about this report, other than if corrosion is happening from the iPh exposure, it's not really all that bad. Now that I have this photo chronicle, I'll revisit this in a year and submit findings at that point.

I didn't really have an alternate location for the iPh. It could have been a foot or so away, but that's about it. If the corrosion is from the iPh, I would deem this acceptable for the convenience it provides. If it's eating away at the internal components of my pool heater, I can't really test for that, and since I never use the thing, and don't ever plan to (it was installed by the previous owner and has been replaced with solar heating), it's kind of a non issue (except for maybe the next owner).

I would say do what I'm doing, put it in the most convenient spot, run the vent tube as far away as possible, and take some pictures. Then set up a reminder to check it periodically (once or twice a year?) and compare photos. Though I wouldn't end the vent tube anywhere near your galvie fence. I don't see why that tube would have a length limit. It's just air inside it. Extend it as far away from metal as is practical. If after some time, you notice more corrosion than you're comfortable with, deal with it then.

Keep us posted.

iPh Corrosion iPh Bolt Motor.191016.jpg
iPh Corrosion Conduit.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Filter Band.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Flow Meter.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Gas Meter.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Gas Pipe.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Heater Bolt 1.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Heater Bolt 3.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion Hindge.191016.jpgiPh Corrosion iPh Bolt 1.191016.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, one other thing. Experiment with the dilution of the acid in the iPh tank. I use 31% muriatic. I was running 1:1 with water for a while, but this year I had to up the acid to 2:1 to get the results I was after. Point being, the less strong the mixture is in the tank, the better off everything will be (the iPh itself and everything around it). Pentair recommends 1:1. Run only a strong enough solution to keep your pool pH where you want it. It'll mean a few more refills, but your iPh and its components will last longer. The closer you run your iPh to its 100% setting, the lower the concentration of acid you'll need.

Thanks Dirk. That was really detailed and I appreciate it .

I ended up putting it right next to my equipment so that it is easy to fill and service . I will post some pics later when I get home. I did not screw it down at 1st in case fumes smelt too bad, but I have actaully only smelt it at all while I was filling it-lid seems to seal pretty good.

I ended up running the vent hose along the C/L fence and vent it about 4" from the ground . It is right at the fence fabric so I am going to monitor that area .
I have whole home generator going in that general area (maybe 3 feet from vent hose), It will be cased in aluminum, but I will also monitor that once its installed.
For my first batch I mixed 31% @ 1:1 and I am able to keep my ph at 7.6-7.8 range running at 50% . Just this week I lowered to 40% becasue my PH dropped down, Im thinking due to time of year ??

It is usually pretty breezy all the time so I hope that will help mitigate any potential corrosion issue.
I actually used SS tapcons to mount tank and changed out my filter with SS also since its right next to it .

Like I said, Ill post some pics and will update what I find as far as corrosion next spring in case any one else is wondering .

Now If I could jsut find a way to lengthen the cord from the IPH controller to the IC controller , allwould be great !! (with oput paying $130 for 15ft of extenison cable from Pentair-I only need like 5 feet)

Thanks Again

And here are the over all pics of the install. If anyone wants close ups, Ill be glad to get them .
If anyone has feed back, I am always open to ideas.

I have since bought a 2" x 1/2" threde T . SO when I get a minute, Im going to delete the saddle clamp.

Thanks

Attachments

• Intelliph install 1.jpg
    Intelliph install 1.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 16
  • intelliph install 2.jpg
    intelliph install 2.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 16
Now that you mention it, I like your idea of pointing the end of the vent tube at the fence. That's a good way to find out if it's causing any corrosion! If it doesn't happen on your fence, it's probably not going to happen anywhere else!

I like your set up. Though I'm not sure what the issue is with the IpH cable. Why not move the IpH controller closer, maybe right next to the IC transformer box... No need for more cable, and maybe a bit easier to get at...

Sorry for the late response, i honestly did not realize i had missed this..

Anyway, the IPH hooks into the IC40 controller ,and it is around that corner . That transformer in the pic is actually for the globrite lights. My timer and IC40 controller are on the wall around the corner . I would love to get the IPH controller over by the tank but $140 for a cable seems crazy to me.
BTW-so far I see no evidence of any corrosion anywhere. Not sure how long it should take but so far all is clear.

Well, this is what I would do. I would cut the cable and solder in whatever extension length I needed. Then I'd go out to a very nice dinner with the $135 I just saved!

I'm somewhat skilled in all that, how to splice and solder and seal it all up like new, so I wouldn't hesitate. Unless the cable is shielded somehow, which I doubt. I'd likely verify that first, myself, by carefully removing a small slice of the cables jacket (BEFORE severing it) to see if there was any shielding, or if it was just x-number of plain wires inside. I'd used an exacto knife for that.

You could do all that for a few dollars and a half hour. The only other concern would be if there would be any signal loss, or possibly some sort of timing delay, caused by extending the length. But if Pentair is selling an extension cable, I think it is safe to assume that length would not be a factor. You're not extending it by a hundred yards after all, just a few feet...

If you want to tackle something like that, I can walk you through the steps...

Reactions: Alset2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to revive such an old thread (I have not been here in a long time) but I want to update just in case some one in the future wonders about the corrosion issue (and to give Dirk a belated "thank you " for all his detailed help).

Anyway, after about 20 months there is zero corrosion . Not even where the vent tube is attached to the chain link fence . Like was pointed out before, the fence is galvie, but the fumes are not affecting it in any visual manner .
I have constantly mixed a 1:1 ratio and the original pump is still working with no leaks -this surprised me, I fully expected to replace every year .

Anyway, thank you all again
Neil

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.