Matching deck stain with furniture stain?

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
Anyone have wood furniture with a wooden deck? Our deck isn’t finished yet, so I haven’t even picked out a stain. I’m planning to build some chairs tomorrow & I was trying to figure out how to match them. I wouldn’t think it would look good with them being the same color. Thoughts?

Of course it's going to come down to personal taste, so if it were me, I'd do a dark stain on my furniture and then add color with cushions. And then I'd do a lighter stain on my deck. I like the contrast of light and dark. My deck is stained with a light medium stain (TWP stain in pecan) and my furniture is a really dark brown (not wood) and I like that contrast, so I'd do the same if my furniture was stained. I'd probably choose stains with the same undertone just bc it would drive me crazy to have a brown toned stain on the deck and a red stain on the furniture, but that's just me! And can I just add wow to building your own furniture!! I'd love to have that skill, and hope you share pics when you're finished!!

Reactions: Windylou
If you are in a spot with unrelenting sun, I’d go with lighter colors rather than darker. And I love the idea of fun colors on the chairs.

Reactions: Windylou
Scout, I believe we have similar tastes. When I started this venture 3 years ago, the plan was to do a transparent gray with white accents on the deck. Now, I’m just liking the wood look more. My mind is pretty set on a dark color for the furniture, most likely a walnut. No hurry on the deck, but I’d like to go ahead & have a color picked when I get ready to stain in the fall. I like the idea of a lighter color. That will help with my next color venture, the fencing.lol. I’ll probably do the fencing in the darker color. I’m just really paranoid when it comes to the lighter stain. I’m so worried it’s going to be orangey. I will definitely add pics when they’re completed. I cut all of the wood for them today. I cut enough for 4 chairs & 2 chaise lounges. Hopefully I can get them done this week.

Kelly, on any other chairs I would add a pop of color & I actually considered that since I wasn’t able to find the color fabric I wanted for them, but I’m going for a more elegant look for these. They will be in full sun until the fall when we complete the lower deck.

Grab some wood scraps, get a few stain samples from the store (they should have sample sizes) and experiment!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.