MasterTemp 400 making noises when starting up

thptrek

Bronze Supporter
Dec 18, 2014
Houston, TX
When my MasterTemp starts up, the blower comes on, then it ignites but I hear a whole bunch of clicking and rattling noises. I notice that the inlet piping to the heating is shaking too. The ignition shuts down but then after about 15 seconds it fires back up and then it runs fine. I was thinking that it was a flow rate issue so I increased my VSF pump by 500 rpm. The pump flowrate says 43 gpm.

This cycle happens at every start. We did have the big freeze here and I am wondering if something inside broke like the bypass valve or such and that is the rattling noise I hear. It is strange that it seems to work on the second reignition. I have attached a link to a video I made so you can hear the sounds.

thptrek

Bronze Supporter
Dec 18, 2014
Houston, TX
Bypass valve broken from the sounds. Had repairman out and in trying to remove bolts that hold the manifold, a bolt was all corroded and snapped off. Says he can’t get manifold off now to get to bypass valve and bolt goes into heat exchanger. Net result is at this, point need new heater.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Bypass valve broken from the sounds. Had repairman out and in trying to remove bolts that hold the manifold, a bolt was all corroded and snapped off. Says he can’t get manifold off now to get to bypass valve and bolt goes into heat exchanger. Net result is at this, point need new heater.

There are bolt extractors that can be tried to salvage it. It may work or it may not. The repairman probably figured it is not worth his time to spend hours trying to get the broken bolt out. I don't know how handy you are.

Post pics of the broken bolt area if you want more help.

@JamesW

Reactions: thptrek

imrodee

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our insurance is covering any repairs over our deductible. Our adjuster told us to take pics and save the parts and receipts. Those heaters aren't cheap, especially hard when we already replaced the filter and main pump and the multiport system. ugh.. Good luck!

Reactions: thptrek
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.