Mastertemp 400 intermittently working/not working

miller351

Jul 27, 2022
Panama City, FL
Hello all. My Mastertemp 400 (Model: 460736) has been intermittently working and not working for the past year or 2. It goes thru a few weeks to a couple months working and the same timeframe not working. When working correctly, I hear the click from the circuit board, I hear the air flow and gas flow right after. Then it fires right up.

Now, when I turn it on, I hear a click from the circuit board, but thats it (no audible blower or gas sound. I have already checked with the gas company, no issues there). The display membrane says service heater. The circuit board on the underside has AFS and LED11 lit. All of the visible wires look good & secure. I do not see any blockage for the blower & air flow. The gas valve is switched to on. The AFS light goes out when I give a easy blow into intake side tube (but nothing else happens). The heater temp is set to high 90s (water is currently in the low 80s).

The heater is controlled by a pentair easytouch control system. The heater is almost 5 years old. The only thing fixed/replaced on it (about 2 years ago) is the display membrane.

Any help would be appreciated.

The blower needs to begin running and the air flow switch needs to sense proper air flow before anything happens with the ignition sequence.

Various information about testing the air blower is in Pentair MasterTemp Heaters - Further Reading

Check the insides carefully for any signs of rodents in the heater. They like nesting in the air blower area.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.