Mastertemp 400 Heater

My Mastertemp 400 heats up to about 83 degrees, the burner shuts off, the service heater light comes on, then it restarts. It continues this cycle until it reaches the desired temperature. I have replaced the thermoregulator and the HLS sensor. Not sure what else to do?

The HLS is often caused by lack of sufficient water flow through the heat exchanger. This can be due to several things:
  • Thermal regulator not opening.
  • External bypass open.
  • Internal bypass broken.
  • Pump too small or on too low rpm.
  • Clogged filter.
  • Scale in heat exchanger.
Start by checking the thermal regulator or your filter pressure.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thank you! I Think I found it. The internal bypass valve broke off. Found the piece stuck at my salt generator. Now Ill tackle this project next weekend!

Another quick question. I noticed my replaced HLS was leaking. I removed and re tephlon taped but it doesn't see to screw in tight. It will get snug and continue to turn. It doesn't look stripped, maybe the internal threads? I never over tightened. Should I replace it again?

I don't know what is going on with your HLS sensor. When I replaced mine it came wrapped in Teflon tape and screwed right in.

Did you get a genuine Pentair part? I have found the non Pentair replacement parts to be sketchy at times.

Fixed the heater issue by replacing the internal bypass valve. It was pretty easy... but I cannot get the new HLS switch to tighten. I cleaned the inside of the port (had a lot of old Teflon tape in there). I re Teflon taped it and it still will not tighten all the way. It will get snug and then get easy. It's gotta be the threads inside. I tried to seaI the best I could but it still drips. Any suggestion on how to seal it up so it won't drip? should I try to re-thread the port? Looks like heavy plastic, may do more harm than good?

If there was alot of Teflon tape on there previously, I would suspect that this happened to the last person to replace it. Either a cross thread, or cracked threads. There isn't really much tape used at the factory, this is what leads me to believe that it has been replaced once already. I would clean the threads on the manifold and use Teflon paste. If it still leaks, take it out once more and clean the paste off as good as you can. If it is cracked, you may be able to better see if there is a crack. The Teflon paste will get into the crack and provide a good contrast..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.